laptop di

toby

I've got a Behringer usb box with phono outs and have had no problems plugging straight into the desk unbalanced on a short cable - if I have any issues I have a couple of home brew DI boxes made from some old equipment transformers. The Peavy box for a few pennies more looks good, though, if you need to send the signal any distance. Never had a problem putting line level down a multi with balanced mic signals. Come to think of it, I've put 17Hz 80v ringing down a multi without any issues.....

For around $50US the Peavey USB-P is transformer isolated balanced line level out on XLR connectors and sounds better than any DI will on the headphone out connector of a laptop.

Mac

Not the first time I've read a recommendation for these, but they seem to be at least double that price over here. :angry:

For around $50US the Peavey USB-P is transformer isolated balanced line level out on XLR connectors and sounds better than any DI will on the headphone out connector of a laptop.

Mac

Not the first time I've read a recommendation for these, but they seem to be at least double that price over here. :angry:

Must admit I have been looking into one of these for my chipmunk.... Generally dont need audio output from it but once in a while just the ability to have a simple dual ballanced output there ready to go for some intro video or sponsors advert or something does seem usefull.

Looks around the right price for the little use it will get and small enough that I can screw it into my 4u rack case and not worry about it.

It will definately be an improvement on my temporary fix (behringer dual DI.... acceptable for PC's/mp3s but definately not high quality a permanent solution or suitable for instruments etc)

Our default soloutuon to deal with laptop hum us to buy a automotive line isolator and a 5m xlr -min jack pair from the likes of CPC , we then crack open the isalator and cut the cable in 2 and solder in the isalator , they can be made for aorox £8 each we have them in all our laptop kits

• 2 weeks later...

Mac

I've noticed that price difference too. However by weird coincidence I just got an unsolicited email from Amazon UK advertising the Peavey USB P new at £59, in case anyone's interested.

wow thanks guys, yeh the interspace industries box is a great little gizmo, but in my tool box/bag id be worried of ripping the cable out by accident (I know there strong but I am stronger ha ha) so think im going to go usb radial. think the cheapest ive found is £120ish anyone know of any cheaper suppliers?

many thanks

t

at my old venue we had a couple where the cable gland had been pulled out of the box, so it is definitely do-able, I think its usually when someone goes to pull the cable on derig whilst its still plugged into a laptop (or snagged underneath something else)

Archived