LED worklights

AndyJones

On the basis that you can get alkaline cells in Poundland with just about every big brand on them at some point I'd say that you just don't know what you're getting despite the label.

And then there are the cheap generic products that have been given fake branding but which are impossible to tell apart from the real thing (packaging included) until you discover that they are unreliable or non standard.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont the laws regarding shop lifting say you have to actually leave the shop before the staff can pounce?

I would doubt that - my suspicion would be that if a store detective witnesses a perp placing shelved items into a personal bag, or under their coat or stuffed up their jumper then they'd be more than justified in making the challenge.

But another observation on the whole shoplifting thing would be that it's likely in TC's case that it wasn't a Maplin thing but probably just an individual thing where the store clerk/whoever may have had a ###### day and over-reacted/went overboard in his challenge. I'd doubt it was a company policy to approach customers in that way...

Dont the laws regarding shop lifting say you have to actually leave the shop before the staff can pounce?

Ooh, a lovely grey area to explore, yummy. There is no such offence as "shoplifting" and the charge is breach of the Theft Act 1986; "A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it."

Possession of a stolen article runs into huge ambiguity in self-service shops and common practice is to allow the thief to leave the premises to demonstrate intent to permanently deprive. Otherwise they could pounce anywhere on every single shopper having "goods in their possession". Some stores have a different policy for Ynot's gangs and organised or habitual shoplifters (like TC? ;) ) but they are not the norm.

Like most English law it is subject to interpretation and legal precedent (on ownership, intent, permanent and deprivation) so there is no fixed rule anywhere about leaving the premises or indeed what "shoplifting" actually is.

Though saying that, anyone who wanders round Maplins these days deserves public flogging.

Kerry is spot on with his determination of how it's done. Many stores will confront people inside if they witness them concealing goods on their person, rather than allowing them to leave - especially in multi-level stores.

The only other problem with TC's method is that the local intelligence officer has your name and address, and probably a picture taken by the shop security camera. Not on a database, of course (or at least one that is known about by the public). It makes you a known face, and surely that is not good. Many shops also keep their own suspected and confirmed shoplifter photos and share them around with other stores - discovering you are pinned up in the back office of your local shops is a horrible thought. The unofficial grapevine is a powerful tool.

Given the regularity I get followed around shops by security guards in Glasgow, I think I may be on one of those unofficial lists despite never actually having shoplifted. I presume it's because I quite like milling around the shops in the city centre on a daily basis when I'm not engrossed in work. Or maybe it's just because I look like a stereotypical movie villain.

They've probably just been watching Youtube Clive. I expect they're a bit worried you're going to start setting fire to things. ;)

Do they sell Barbie dolls (other makes are available...) in maplin??

Archived