Splitting mic signal with phantom power

simontaylor

If you're doing a multicam ISO gig, then you need to be able to zoom in to the clapperboard to see the exact moment

But if you are in a big venue with maybe one or two unmanned cameras, as well as other manned ones, the flash works pretty well (Provided the audience aren't going nuts with camera flashes at the same time!)

The thing about the clapperboard is the "clap" - it provides a sound and vision sync. You can sync the cameras to a flash but make sure it's close to a mic to pick up the "pop". so you can sync the audio too. (in this day and age of proper digital syncing with added timecode it's astonishing that we're still using the same techniques that were used in the days of film. Oh I miss sepmag post suites!)

Oh I miss sepmag post suites!)

I don't miss them at all...horrible clunky things, especially when I first started working and we didn't have "rock and roll" on the mixing stage so a mistake at 29 minutes into a 30 minute programme meant going back to the start. The company I was working for invested in a DAR "Soundstation" when it first came out (mid 90s sometime) and I've never looked back.

Just a mention for people who might be doing a lot of this--Adobe Audition (newer versions only) has a "Speech Alignment Tool" which automatically compares the waveforms of two tracks and continuously pulls one into sync with the other. It's designed mainly for ADR use but I've found it to also be pretty good on music, as long as there's distinct sounds in the mix rather than a continuous over-compressed noise. The beauty of the speech alignment is that, if you get the camera mic and the proper mix even close, the software does the rest.

Never keen on this one (the 3rd link) as connecting two outputs directly to each other is almost always wrong & can damage stuff - the same would apply to certain ways of using the first lead too. Think of two dynamic mics connected together - which is the mic & which is the speaker?

Of course, there are times when you can use these, and I do have some, but I tend to think very carefully about what I'm doing before I use one.

Interesting... would it be sensible then to go with something like the box I suggest originally?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_sp_31.htm

That box is for splitting, (which is what the question was about). A passive* splitter lead (or box) is usually OK.

It is passive* combiners that are wrong. Two mics into one input or two desk channels into a single amp channel.

* For this post, I intend passive to mean directly connected with no resistors or anything.

Here are some interesting 'innovations' from our friends at the Institute of Broadcast Sound/Professional Sound:

Star Connector http://www.ips.org.u...d_Gizmos_98.pdf

Neutrik T-Piece http://www.ips.org.u..._Gizmos_102.pdf

No words of caution to be seen, and in those days the IBS was predominantly BBC trained... For what it's worth...

Archived