lighting plot software

gameshints

I am looking for simple (but quality, and easy to use) software in which I can create my lighting plots and paperwork with. (I'm getting sick of kinda sketching it out by hand). I don't need any fancy 3-D rendering or anything. The ability to import/export to AutoCAD would be good. (.DWG Files?) I'm looking for something less than $250 (including a academic discount, which I can get because I'm currently enrolled in college)

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Erik

Hi Erik.

This subject has cropped up several times before on this forum - try this topic, this topic, this topic and this topic for starters.

Just for your information - there's a very useful search facility as part of this site (see the top-right of every page), which we encourage people to use to see if their question's been asked in the past before they open a new topic.

Sorry for a seemingly identical post. I had indeed searched the forums in the past but most posts were about people looking for 3D Visualization, or just plain CAD software.

Anyway, browsing the forums more, these three popped up a lot:

Vector Works + Spotlight: Do you have to buy the two programs separately or does Spotlight include Vector Works? Anyone have an idea what the academic version might cost? Also.. everyone says this is the "industry standard".. is that true? If I invest in some software I want to have good odds that other people that might hire/contract me use it.

WYSIWYG Report: The academic version is very well priced, I tried the demo and liked what I saw. Is this software as popular as Vector Works? My school frowns upon it and prefers vector works.

TurboCAD LE + Symbol Plugins: I understand it's free. Can you do paperwork with it?

Any other programs people have strong feelings for?

I remember trying LxDesigner in the past, wasn't a big fan.

Thanks,

Erik

"WYSIWYG Report: The academic version is very well priced, I tried the demo and liked what I saw. Is this software as popular as Vector Works? My school frowns upon it and prefers vector works."

You have to remember that Wysiwyg is actually designed to do lighting plots and all the paperwork that comes with it, efficient use of Wysiwyg will blow the other previous packages away mainly due to the fact they are CAD packages that may have the possibility of LD plugins. They certainly do not have the working models of the fixtures. Also if you decide at any point you wish to move on to 3D design then all of the Wyg packages are compatible with each other so all you have to do is upgrade your dongle.

Yes Wyg will import DXF and DWG files.

There is no difference between the Educational and full versions of Wysiwyg Report apart from a watermark that appears in the bottom left hand corners of plots.

For £75.00 you can't go wrong.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me off line.

Kind Regards

Andy

There is no difference between the Educational and full versions of Wysiwyg Report apart from a watermark that appears in the bottom left hand corners of plots.

How big/obtrusive is this watermark? I don't care that cast lighting is trying to ensure their software is only used for educational purposes, but as the plots are actually going to be used.. the watermark can't cover large amounts of data.

[added] Oh, and I had a couple more quick questions: Does the software include anything else (printed manual, interactive tutorial of sorts)? Can you export to any sort of cad software?

Thanks,

Erik

How big/obtrusive is this watermark? I don't care that cast lighting is trying to ensure their software is only used for educational purposes, but as the plots are actually going to be used.. the watermark can't cover large amounts of data.

I have used the educational version before which probably didn't have the latest software version on (as it was a few months ago) but it was a picture/ logo not a watermark that was down in the left hand side of the page so it didn't cover any info and it size was realitive to the size of page you are printing on.

Sam

I always used AutoCaD

It was not only capable of rig plans but most venues, especially those conference venues that are normally shopping malls or factories, have a copy of it so that they can see your plans which saves a lot of telephone time.

There are many folk who will (ahem) lend you a copy provided you ask no questions and wear oven gloves when handleing the disk. There are also many blocks of lights, truss etc. out there.

If you need any look at

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/brixton/

or drop me a line if you cannot see anything useful and I'll send you enough to keep you busy

[added] Oh, and I had a couple more quick questions: Does the software include anything else (printed manual, interactive tutorial of sorts)? Can you export to any sort of cad software?

Erik

All of the manuals, ie quickstart guide and full reference guide aswell as a spoken word tutorial are on the CD.

You can export your drawings as DXF and DWG files.

Regards

Andy

Thanks,

Erik

I have the education version of WYSIWYG Design. I have tried every lighting software package out there since Rosco Stagelights in 1984! WYSIWYG is amazing! It has speeded up my whole design process. It is what Lotus 123 was to accountants when it came out!

The watermark can be delt with. You can position a plot to exclude it. You can export the paperwork reports to Excel where you can remove it. In the rendering engine, you can pop it into a photo editor and clip it out. Where it is unobtrusive on a plot or a schedule, I leave it it but sometimes it covers the whole Stage Right side of the FOH - that isn't good!

For doing paperwork and updates, there isn't anything out there that comes close.

BTW... I've got Vectorworks Spotlight... very nice... but I'd rather do a lighting design that fiddle with all the bells and whistles of this huge CADD program. Try replacing an electric of fixtures with a different fixture to to see "what if?" and then have it automatically update your paperwork for you in Vectorworks. I have to get up to speed on Vectorworks because I'll be teaching it in a year. I'd rather run my teeth against the curb truly. Give me WYSIWYG any day of the week!

Archived