12V DC connectors - ideally D size?

paulears

I have a project coming up in the new year that needs equipment to be cased - probably Pelicases, and then they will be linked by 12V power. Ideally I need something that can work in the rain. The 12V needs to be able to handle around 6 or 7 amps continuous for perhaps ten minutes at a time with occasional peaks to about 10 amps for a few seconds.The rest of the time it will be charger current - so less than an Amp. Some cases also need main input too. I could use the Purple versions of the CEEform - but they're far too big really.

I use 4 Pin XLRs for my video kit, but these won't carry the current, and are too small for the cable.

Is anyone using smooth anything unusual that works? I have no 'rules' to follow - simply the ability to be light rain proof, and attachable to Pelicases. The project is to make up a portable emergency radio system - radios, repeaters, power supplies for an off-shore system. So a box with a couple of aerials connected to a box with power coming out. That sort of thing. everything g else is sorted, just leaving the connections!

We have a mototrbo repeater inside a peli case, and a spare battery pack in an additional peli.

Mains is on powercons

12v in/link is on speakons

We started off trying 3pin XLRs, but getting thick cable into it was a nightmare.

Being 'd' size, all the usual gaskets, protection plugs / bungs, and rear end protectors are available to assist you.

One thing we did find useful was canfords U bar, that goes on the rear of the d chassis socket, and goves you something to tie off the cables to. Coupled with a rear boot, makes everything neat and well protected.

given it's off shore status, looking at marine connections in boatbuilding type DIY sites?

I know that the kit car world has welcomed the web as a market p[lace as it's far easier to see all the variations available

if there is an equivalent for boats it might help?

Have a look at the the products on the right hand side of this page CPC Catalogue. The 2, 3 or 4 pin versions would meet your needs I think.

Look as if they only do moulded inline sockets though, so you'd need to put joins in the middle go your cables. Crimps & self amalgamating tape?

Edit to correct link.

Is there a reason why Speakon won't work for you? I'm using them on my dad's ride-on miniature railway locomotive for his charging circuit. I wouldn't say they're waterproof, but if you think about the orientation carefully then I'd say they'd be showerproof. They do make some waterproof versions of the STX series. There are also waterproof flaps available for covering sockets that don't have anything plugged in to them.

As it's an isolated use, away from entertainment equipment, I'd say speakon should be an ok bet.

Souriau UTS series (Get the highseal ones which are sealed even when unmated, a subtle point that is often in the very small print), you can get moulded cable assemblies that are good because they stay sealed even if the cable outer takes damage, and they are not that expensive.

1/4 turn bayonet locking so easy even when wearing gloves.

They are usually quite good about samples, as long as you pick something standard.

Regards, Dan.

Is there a reason why Speakon won't work for you? I'm using them on my dad's ride-on miniature railway locomotive for his charging circuit. I wouldn't say they're waterproof, but if you think about the orientation carefully then I'd say they'd be showerproof. They do make some waterproof versions of the STX series. There are also waterproof flaps available for covering sockets that don't have anything plugged in to them.

As it's an isolated use, away from entertainment equipment, I'd say speakon should be an ok bet.

Would powercon be an alternative as well?

Archived