Green Ginger Thing

Scuba

Hi,

I've recently got a job as a technician in a school. Today the lights would just turn off, which unfortunately, was during rehearsals for a show that's going on all week. The desk I was using was a LSC Maxim, which I thought was the culprit as it kept resetting itself, but then noticed the lights on the dimmer (I apologise for my vernacular, I'm more sound than lights) would cut out first.

So I'm just wondering what exactly is this and what could possibly stop it being active.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the Blue Room, Stephen

It's impossible to advise without knowing more about the setup. Some things that might help us to help you better are 1) clear description of exactly what process of indicators shows up 2) pictures of the kit in the setup with details of how it's connected together or 3) (probably best idea) tell us where you are in the UK and there may be a member not too far from you that could take a look and get you going

There are six rechargeable batteries inside the maxim. The battery volts can be read using the desk diagnostics. LSC Lighting Forums maXim Battery replacement All of the instructions are in the LSC maxim forum post.

Do NOT have the midi enabled when turning on a maxim desk as the desk will reset itself maXim Restart

Thanks Don Allen, I'll see, in the morning if that helps. I'll just post a picture of the corner that the unit sits in, It's connected to 4 Rank Strand Electric Mini II.

They're connected to the Green Ginger unit which is then connected to the lighting console via a DMX cable.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm253/scubacrow/thumb_IMG_3607_1024.jpg

& this is the Green Ginger unit

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm253/scubacrow/IMG_3665.jpg

And I'm based in Wanstead, East London

The green ginger unit is converting modern(ish) DMX control signals into the older analogue 0-10V control signals that the (rather past it and in need of replacement) dimmers.

As to what is causing lights to cut out, on that setup it could be any number of things, as the kit is all a little past it and doesn't look to have been well maintained.

Do you lose the whole rig, or just one portion that corresponds to a single dimmer pack? Check for loose/damaged cabling.

The Green Ginger de-multiplexer or 'demux' as it is known appears to have a couple of LEDs marked "active" and "status". Does either of these change when the fault occurs or do they both go off? Does the light in the mains switch also go off? If the mains switch light also goes off then check wherever that is supplied from. Could be as simple as a loose wire in the mains plug or in that 4 way mains block or its plug. Wiggle all of these and see if the fault is provoked

Dave

The desk...kept resetting itself..but then noticed the lights on the dimmer...would cut out first.

If the desk resets itself then your stage lighting will flash. And nothing that happens at the dimmer end will cause this. So before you go any further you need to track down what's causing reset.

Where does the desk get its mains power from?

The desk...kept resetting itself..but then noticed the lights on the dimmer...would cut out first.

If the desk resets itself then your stage lighting will flash. And nothing that happens at the dimmer end will cause this. So before you go any further you need to track down what's causing reset.

Where does the desk get its mains power from?

Yeah, Brian's right. I had forgotten you said that. Disregard my ramblings above!

Dave

One of the output sockets on dimmer 1 appears damaged, or incorrectly fixed. Almost certainly not relevant, but should be dealt with on general electrical safety grounds.

I am inclined to agree but, since I believe we are looking at the 5A Mini 2, it should be possible to isolate the lower socket by removing the fuse for that particular socket.

I imagine that the ceramic socket has been broken by over zealous plug insertion - replacing these is not that easy due to the design of the module (lots to take apart). Finding a complete replacement module will probably be easier than finding the 5A socket and swapping it out.

I am inclined to agree but, since I believe we are looking at the 5A Mini 2, it should be possible to isolate the lower socket by removing the fuse for that particular socket.

I imagine that the ceramic socket has been broken by over zealous plug insertion - replacing these is not that easy due to the design of the module (lots to take apart). Finding a complete replacement module will probably be easier than finding the 5A socket and swapping it out.

It just looks like just the screw in the middle has fallen out. The socket element is held onto the front panel by a single screw, if this comes out then the socket falls back into the unit as you can see in the photo.

You can usually manipulate it back into position with a screwdriver and/or longnose pliers (power off!) but if I remember correctly the screw is a weird imperial size.

(spent too much of my life keeping mini-2 dimmers going)

That set up looks remarkably like our school set up from 1988 to 2000. Ours was installed by a local sparky. It had common neutrals and that's not a good thing as I have since found out. I have no idea how yours are wired up, but given schools' tendency to do things on the cheap then I think getting it tested by a reputable electrician with experience in theatres would be a good idea regardless of the problem.

Archived