Wireless HDMI

sleah

Putting aside all the usual tedious apple/windows arguments (I'm happy having one of each on my desk), this is an area where Apple seems streets ahead by using a Mac or iPad over Airplay to Apple TV with hdmi connection to projector, with the £59 3rd gen Apple TV good enough for this purpose, no configuration, no wall warts, no requirement for a venue wifi network, and no hdmi compliance to worry about...

Do any of the solutions mentioned here offer anything that Apple TV Airplay doesn't, other than Windows compatibility?

Do any of the solutions mentioned here offer anything that Apple TV Airplay doesn't, other than Windows compatibility?

I think the discussion has diverted into a general purpose solution for connecting anything HDMI to anything else HDMI, e.g. connect a camera wirelessly to a vision mixer. Not particularly something for use with a computer.

As for the original requirement of connecting a lectern computer to a projector I guess the computer in the lectern needs to be of a type that most people will expect to find...

paulears

'HDMI' is a connector to some and a whole set of Standards to others (along with a very expensive licensing scheme if you wish to manufacture kit and mark it with the official HDMI logo).

Wireless HD - can work but is very unreliable so very difficult to recommend without an accompanying health warning.

Wireless HD - always involves some form of compression, processing and fudging of HDCP so has never been (as far as I know) ratified by HDMI.org (the licensing body for HDMI Adopters). As you say the drawbacks of Wireless HD may not be an issue in some systems but can be in others, lots of systems for example don't support 50Hz and everything is converted to 60Hz.

sleha

PJ - projector.

HDBT - HDbaseT. A single CAT, non-compressed, ratified, transport system for HDMI. Normally you have a Transmitter plus Receiver but some Displays and Projectors have the Receiver inbuilt which makes connectivity that bit neater. (see http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/specs/15811).

Shez

Wireless HD - is what most manufacturers will use where they don't advertise which of the wireless chip sets they use (Amimon, Silicon Image etc).

Joe

Joe - thanks for all this info. It's been a very interesting read, even where it's been a sidetrack from the OP's question.

We are asked quite often for wireless solutions for lecterns etc. and have never found anything suitable but we clearly haven't spent as much time researching as you.

One further question - do you know what frequency band wireless HD units are tending to be using? Is it yet another thing clogging up the 2.4gHz band?

I have not used the Gefen Solution but have had positive results from the Extron solution it is limited to 30m range , We have used them at work for clients where concrete floors are an issue but power is in position already, so for sending HDMI between meeting room tables and screens/equipment racks. Cost wise its not particularly cheap as you need to ensure you order the transmitter and receiver separately. This seems strange until you realize that one transmitter can support up to four receivers, allowing a single source such as a digital signage player to support multiple displays.

http://www.extron.co...id=elink100&s=5

Product spec:

Maximum data rate 6.75 Gbps (2.25 Gbps per color) Maximum pixel clock 148.5 MHz Resolution range Up to 1080p @ 60 Hz; 8, 10, or 12 bit color depth and VESA up to 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz Supported resolutions 720(1440)x4801, 640x4801, 720x4801, 720(1440)x5762, 720x5762, 1280x7203, 1920x10803,4, 1366x7685, 1440x9005, 1400x10505, 1600x9005, 1680x10505, 640x4806, 800x6007, 1024x7688, 1280x7209, 1920x10803,9 1 = 60 Hz, and 59.94 Hz

2 = 50 Hz

3 = 50 Hz, 60 Hz, and 59.94 Hz

4 = 50 Hz, 60 Hz, 23.98 Hz, 24 Hz, 25 Hz, 59.94 Hz, 29.97 Hz, and 30 Hz

5 = 60 Hz

6 = 72 Hz, and 59.94 Hz

7 = 60 Hz, and 72 Hz

8 = 60 Hz, and 70 Hz

9 = 50 Hz, 60 Hz, 23.98 Hz, 24 Hz, 59.94 Hz, 29.97 Hz, and 30 Hz

Formats RGB and YCbCr digital video Standards DVI 1.0, HDMI, HDCP 2.0 Signal transmission distance Up to 100 ft (30 m)

The issue with Clickshare is it is USB or application based. Yes its great and I install more of them than the Extron Send receive kit, but it all depends on what your trying to do. Barco did launch 2 new products in the click share range at ISE including the CS-100 which makes it a lot more price competitive. Another competitor for clickshare is http://www.teqavit.com/ this is just app based though with no dongle required.

• 2 weeks later...

At a consumer level, there is 'Apple Airplay' (already mentioned) and 'Miracast' (Windows / Android). I only have experience with Miracast. Miracast will wirelessly connect (2.4GHz Wifi) suitable laptops / tablets to enabled display devices. It is now becoming common on new devices. Depending on implementation and local RF environment it can work well for reasonable quality video. In a noisy/congested RF environment it is only good for still images. Miracast receiver dongles (of varying quality) which plug directly into a display HDMI port are available from the usual mass-market online sources. There probably will be some 5GHz devices out there which may have a better chance of working where 2.4Ghz is crowded.

Peter

Archived