stage sword fighting

armaros

Hi all,

For my final project at college (of the year) we are doing a split between “road†and “blood Wedding†both 2 and half hour show but we are cutting them down to 50 mins EACH! Don’t ask.

Anyway we are needing to get swords for one of the performance… but because they are doing there own fight with swords on stage Im wondering 1st what safety ect needs to be done by the S.M.

And dose anyone know where I can hire/ buy.

Thanks martin

to get swords for one of the performance

Do you want to actually stab someone?

We spent a lot of money in 83? getting a fabulous looking prop sword to stab through a performer on "I" at the Piccadilly Theatre

It was lovely and went through some of that eliptical plastic conduit which was worn under the costume.

It was A LOT OF MONEY

when it broke we discovered that it was an old Stanley steel tape bent over so the markings were inside and then glued.

We didn't spend much on the replacement

know where I can hire/ buy.

If Fencing swords (epees) do not look murderous enough Try Sealed Knott or another one of those roundhead cavalier type re-enactment types.

I'm sure they would be into 'lending' weapons for a programme mention etc.

as already said, all fight moves must be properly choreographed.

We had fighting with big swords for Macbeth and also had specific risk assessments. Lots of rehearsals of the fight sequences and also because of the layout and proximity of the audience had "watchers" who had the authority to stop the fight at any point by a pre arranged signal.

Swords were checked before and after every use and repaired/ filed to ensure no raggy edges.

Swords were also not to be hanlded by anyone except those designated (specific actors and tech crew) and no fighting or rehearsal allowed unless a 'watcher' was present to keep the area clear and keep an eye on things.

Also regfistered first aider present

All this came about from the risk assessments

only had two accidents......(over 14 show run and numerous rehearsals)

:unsure: hope tis helps

Archived