LED Pars

BlueShift

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen a demo of the showtec led par and wasn't that impressed, I would say maybe a little less then a 300w par 56, so useless for large venues or even medium sized ones. It looked even less impressive next to the thomas led par64 they had in their demo rig. But seeing as the thomas one goes for about £1500+ what would you expect?

http://www.pixelpar.com/90/double-yoke160.jpg

Just taken 6 showtec led pars out for a fortnight's tour.

Flickered irrespective of auto/audio switch setting. Terminating realy helped here.

Too dim to be of any use providing illumination.

Acceptable bounced off a white celing for colourful house ligjhts.

one of the six stoped responding to DMX in the last week.

Marginaly better as floor cans.

Generaly not impressed.

I will not be buying anything led in the near future at this rate.

James

I'm using acrylic frost/diffusion in the gel holders and works well. Obviously it doesn't act like a fresnel but it does take away the glare, give a wider beam angle and smooths out the colour mixing. Temperature is not a factor. 215mm square acrylic cut cost approx £3 per piece.

Aside from the one unit having lost the plot and one a small strip of faulty green (combined the two to make one good/one useless :blink: ) I have 41 out of 42 units in use without any problems. All individually addressed and running from a Pearl (2x universes). The overall effect is stunning and exactly how I originally visualised it.

I did initially have one unit that refused to respond to DMX. Taking apart/re-affirming connects solved and has worked ever since.

To anyone who actually read all of this thread these units are clearly not suitable for traditional stage lighting, but do a great job of highlighting/effect. As always you get what you pay for, but there is one hell of a price difference between these and the real deal! IMO these are really good value, but it is silly to expect them to be able to replace a traditional par. If I were to consider touring these then I would take plenty of spare units and probably consider them virtually disposable given their cost.

I've seen a demo of the showtec led par and wasn't that impressed, I would say maybe a little less then a 300w par 56, so useless for large venues or even medium sized ones. It looked even less impressive next to the thomas led par64 they had in their demo rig. But seeing as the thomas one goes for about £1500+ what would you expect?

I'm going to keep waxing lyrical about the Thomas pixelpars - if you're looking for LED pars for anything other than effects, they blow everything else out of the water. They're worth their weight in gold when it comes to shows with constantly changing demands (cabaret gigs etc). I got to work with some last year, and they did everything we threw at them. They're bloody bright, and have extremely vivid colours, and just look generally impressive when up in the rig.

I'm using acrylic frost/diffusion in the gel holders and works well.

Can you confirm which acrylic frost gel that is? I have tried quarter hampshire frost (Lee 257) but it didn't make enough of a difference for me - experimenting with other gels starts to get expensive.

Thanks.

@Jamtastic: Probably not very good pointing straight out IMO (though I generally hate seeing the LED's regardless of fixture!) Good for downlighting/uplighting/backlighting set pieces/cyc and preferably with some sort of diffusion to improve the colour mix. Or, as I am using them, in bulk as a club effect (again, with diffusion).

In these applications you cannot see the source and so, although not perfect, they fulfill the requirements of no lamp replacements, no heat, colour changing and dimmable for next to nothing. Similar alternatives to achieve the same end result cost a great deal more, have less LED's (thinking of Pulsar options as example) and often require an additional controller.

The danger here is that they are marketed as Pars, which is the one thing they don't replace. They just look like them!

@amillar: I can't really say. They are acrylic, not gel and so is difficult to compare. What is it you are trying to achieve?

Hi Guys.

Just looking for an opinion on These Has anyone any experience of using them or seen them working? Would they be suitable for lighting a small stage in an even smaller bar? ie stage measures 14' x 8' and the ceilings are no more than 9' high. Look forward to your replies

Andy.

I've not used, but they look essentially the same as Pulsar ChromaDome and its variations. These work as downlighters above bars/tables etc. but I really don't think they would be any use on a stage, even a small one.

Hi All,

Has anyone had the chance to look at the "Batmink led par light"?

Batmink led PAR

This looks very much like the Showtec Studio Beam at stagelighting:

Studio Beam LED

Batmink reckon they have more LEDs and run at 50W, however so, presumably, they should be quite a bit brighter.

Plus, has anyone tried the 457 LED, 15 degree cans on offer from our friends in china on eBay? They reckon they are, ahem, "10 times brighter" than the 151 LED units. They reckon a useful range of 10 - 15m. Now call me a cynic and a sceptic but I am unconvinced. But if they will do what the auction says they will, they could be a VERY useful tool at the price.

eBay PARs

All feedback or whatever gratefully received.

Cheers.

Andy

Archived