LED Pars

BlueShift

If you ask me the Batmink lamps are identical to the Showtec. I would guess that the info on the 'light' version is simply wrong. Unit is just a copy of an ETC unit, but I would bet the 'lamp' part is the same - it certainly looks it. Don't trust any of the info on these units. For example they are 6 ch DMX and not 5 or 4 as most of the descriptions out there say.

The Ebay ones again look pretty much like the same concept, with the exceptoin of a big nose bolted on the front for beamwidth (maybe!).

However, I would be very wary of these as it is clear the back end still has a spring release as a normal can. The other units have custom cans with sealed rear. Makes me think these ebay ones are a homebuilt job.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
has anyone tried the 457 LED, 15 degree cans on offer from our friends in china on eBay? They reckon they are, ahem, "10 times brighter" than the 151 LED units.

The trouble is, without any real specs, comparing units like this to other LED units, or even to conventional fixtures is impossible. The term "brightness" has no real place in comparing them. I suspect the claim comes about because as they are 15 degree units they will look brighter because they work over a much smaller area than the 60 degree units. But again 15 degrees - another meaningless spec.

Hi again,

Possibly a little more to it than a rehash of the old unit. They say that they are "about 2500 lumens" have 3 times the leds and run at 50W. If they are right, then they have a similar output to my Robocolor Pro 400s!!!! Errrrrmmmm OK.....

Believe me I am cynical about the description and that is why I wondered if anyone had actually bought some. It doesn't help that they are offering what looks like an identical can with a "120 degree beam angle". Anyway, I only do gigs for small bands at smallish venues and have some of the 151 LED Showtec units, which are fine for eye candy and (with enough of them) for a bit of a wash. If these are actually bright enough to produce a beam in haze at 50W then they would be pretty useful to me so it is worth investigating.

I see from eBay that someone from London bought 8 of the things. I will try and get in touch and post what (if anything) I find out here. I am in the midlands but maybe someone who is in our capital can go and have a look if they and the person who bought them are willing?

Good spot on the catch, niclights - slipped stright past me that you don't need it with an LED can. I'll ask the buyer about that as well.

Cheers.

Andy

Plus, has anyone tried the 457 LED, 15 degree cans on offer from our friends in china on eBay? They reckon they are, ahem, "10 times brighter" than the 151 LED units. They reckon a useful range of 10 - 15m. Now call me a cynic and a sceptic but I am unconvinced. But if they will do what the auction says they will, they could be a VERY useful tool at the price.

I can reference you back to This post in the same thread. I tried a, admittedly a different to the one you are looking at, cheap Chinese unit, and was very disappointed in the brightness, and that had 630 LEDs. Problem was they were not all that bright LEDs.

Ben

The close ups of the back don't exactly fill me with confidence of the quality of these units. But then again I'm dubious of buying anything from china over ebay. You hear so many horror stories, not to mention youpay more on the shipping than you do for the unit.

Hi Ben,

Cheers for that. I did read the whole thread but seem to have missed your post, well I don't remember it at all!! Anyway, don't worry, I spent about 15 years working in Trading Standards and am about as cynical as it is possible to get when it comes to stuff like this so I'm not likely to end up with too many bruises. Hopefully the guy who took the plunge and paid out for 8 will put us wise. Who knows, maybe there is such a thing as a free lunch......

Andy

can anyone post a link to a showtec LED par manual , I've lost all the manuals that came with mine and can't find one online

thanks

I've put a link to it here

it's a fair size file - not good if you are on dial-up

cheers, unfortunatly mine are different, they are the multipar version and use 6 ch DMX.

I've put a link to it here

cheers, unfortunatly mine are different, they are the multipar version and use 6 ch DMX.

I have 4 of the Par 56's from Thomann - was quite impressed with these as back-lights and effects - used them a couple of times recently and may well get some more. At £45 each, they'll be pretty useful and pretty cheap!!

I'll dig up one of the manual sheets and sort a copy for you if I can, but it is unlikely to be before Friday.

TD

• 2 weeks later...

Archived