LED Pars

BlueShift

Used our Showtec LED 'P56' cans in anger for the first time Sat night and the band members loved 'em! For the size of venue we play they're ideal. Less heat, more versatile in terms of colours/coverage that our 8 x P56s, no Bulgins to run everywhere or dimmer pack to tuck away etc.

One grip - one of the internal nuts on the yoke clamp is very lose one side - 3 phillips screws seem to hold the LED 'head' in place but slackening off these didn't seem to have any effect on allowing access into the can...any ideas? Nic seems to have got inside his ok so I'm hoping maybe the secret can be revealed...** laughs out loud **!

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nuts for the yoke are welded as far as I can remember. You should be able to just tighten the bolts from the outside.

To get in you need to remove the three screws on the LED board which has a reasonable length ribbon that can easily be released. The three screws from the side of the can hold the PSU in place and are machine screw/nut combination accessed once LED board is removed.

HTH

Cheers Nic,

the internal nut is definitely spinning when adjusting the yoke clamp - you can see it through the (very flimsy) vents. I'll have another look at removing the board when I get my hands on the offending can Wed night.

BTW - has anyone tried using gobos with the LED cans? Given that they're 'cold' I was wondering if anyone had taken a Stanley knife to a cornflake packet and tried to be creative?

no, I was thinking more to create the effect of multiple beams from a single LED source by perhaps cutting 3 or 4 holes into a blank. I was going to try on the weekend but given that the l/lord of the venue demanded on keeping the rear doors open our haze was sucked away!

the internal nut is definitely spinning when adjusting the yoke clamp - you can see it through the (very flimsy) vents.

It should. I've got a unit opened up next to me on the bench. What you can see is an M8 lock nut which is there to stop you unscrewing the handwheel too far.

It could be that the thread is stripped in the bit of Al which is riveted to the side of the can. If that's the case you might get away with swapping the handwheel onto the other side where the plain bolt is.

the idea of using gobos is a non starter.

1. The light sources come from many physical locations, and are effectively a flood in terms of light source - hold a finger up in front to show how little gets projected.

2. Gobos cut down the light output even more - and there isn'tmuch to waste!

p

• 2 weeks later...

I received four PAR56 RGB LED Cans from Thomann today... never had so much fun while exploring packages. :P

Although they came in one huge Eurolight box, only three of them actually were Eurolight products, while the fourth was obviously the ShowTec version (as already mentioned with 151 LEDs - but don't take my word for it).

Anyhow, as I forgot the manuals on the stage, I just checked out some of the downloadable documents, and that's when the situation started to become really strange: The PAR displayed in the online Eurolight manual clearly ressembles my ShowTec version (it has a "sensitivity" potentiometer on the back and no "Auto/Music" switch) while the ShowTec manual honestly shows my Eurolight cans ("speed" potentiometer on the panel). :)

Wow, I'm so looking forward to figuring out the channels... my oh my.

I am reliably informed that Showtec used to make the units for Eurolite but that has now ceased and Eurolite units are being sourced elsewhere. As such, whilst units are still in the supply chain, you may get mixed units for a while.

Hi,

Can someone more farmiliar with this thread direct me/ tell me the main differences between the P56 and 64 Version. They seem very similar.

Apologies if the information is in the post, I just cannot find it.

Thanks,

Daniel

Can someone more farmiliar with this thread direct me/ tell me the main differences between the P56 and 64 Version. They seem very similar.

Wel,, looking at the Thomann site, the 56's have 153 LED's whilst the 64's have just 150..... So my first thought (because I believe that the 64's ARE brighter) is that the later uses larger powered LED's.

Oh, by the way - just found I can get the Showtec 64 size at around £85 plus VAT from the UK. Still a little more than Thomann, but from a UK seller.

TD

Archived