LED Pars

BlueShift

The 75176 is an RS485 line-driver IC

It converts between RS485 differential (DMX signal) and a logic-level signal - it doesn't do any other signal processing.

It's actually got both inputs and outputs, so an upgrade to RDM would be possible...

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have been reading this thread with interest and was wondering if anyone knows of any "cheap" or for that matter "expensive" LED batterns. I am looking for an LED equivelant for the traditional MR16 "Howie" batterns. I am aware of the Pixelpar battern and the Chromabank from CPP, but was wondering if anyone had any advice re other sources.

All information gratefully recieved.

Thanks.

C

I am looking for an LED equivelant for the traditional MR16 "Howie" batterns. I am aware of the Pixelpar battern and the Chromabank from CPP, but was wondering if anyone had any advice re other sources.
Have recently been using the anolis arcline battens. The only problem with them is that they cannot be 'split', to give different colours along the batten, but for when this isn't needed, it is a nice bright fixture which is a cheaper than the pixelpars or chromabanks.

I picked up a pair of the PAR36 LED cans from Thomann for experimentation. For £30 each, I think they'll be quite useful.

Is there a way to eliminate the ragged edge of the projected beam? I realize the individual LEDs are multiple light sources, and I don't expect a hard edge like with the colour changers I'm using, but it would be nice to smooth the edges.

And what's the purpose of the gel mount on the front? I thought gels were for colours.

Thanks!

And what's the purpose of the gel mount on the front?

Use the frame to put some light frost in, that should help blend the individual LEDs together, but obviously you will loose some brightness.

Out of interest how bright are the PPAR 36's, and what would you suggest the beam angle is. i.e. Do they use LEDs with a narrower (and therfor brighter) angle on them? I'm guessing that they will have the same LEDs in as the 56's and 64's but you never know.

Ben

I picked up a pair of the PAR36 LED cans from Thomann for experimentation. For £30 each, I think they'll be quite useful.

Is there any where to get data on these units online? The Thomann webpage is pretty pathetic. Huge numbers of typos on the "description" of the product and they don't state what the connection plug on the unit is, what voltage it needs fed at, how much power it consumes. Let alone getting into specifics of the DMX and programmability of the units!

Very disappointing :blink:

Very little info ships with the units, too... one A4 page of DMX assignments!

I'm only using them in DMX 3-channel RGB mode (sequenced and controlled by CC curves and values in Ableton Live), so the DMX implementation for me is pretty straightforward. There are some built-in DMX chase and strobe modes, though.

Is there any where to get data on these units online? The Thomann webpage is pretty pathetic. Huge numbers of typos on the "description" of the product and they don't state what the connection plug on the unit is, what voltage it needs fed at, how much power it consumes. Let alone getting into specifics of the DMX and programmability of the units!

Very disappointing :blink:

Its Thomman, its like roulette!

If they are anything like the Showtec 56 units its under 21 watts and uses 6 channels, the first 3 being RGB then a control channel, a preset colour channel and strobe (not in that order!) And being sold in europe its not a big stretch to deduce that it will work on 230v/50Hz AC and will come with a shuco plug.

What do you expect for that kind of money? I can show you some nice alternatives that are much brighter and come with lots of information. A snip at 400 quid. Plus a power pack.

What do you expect for that kind of money?

I can buy a 41p transistor online, I can get a nice 12 page datasheet on it explaining pretty much everything I would want to know (and some more besides).

It would actually save them the one A4 page they ship with the unit if they had decent data online!

Edit: Today they lost a sale for want of a little information.

I understand your frustration, but you are comparing a product that ships in the thousand all over the world and is mostly useless without its data sheet. And there is huge competition.

Where as these LED'cans are competing with products that have to be between 10 and 12 times brighter to justify the price difference. Given the lack of competition at that end of the market I can forgive them the lack of info.

To be fair I think it is not really the fault of Thomann. The fault lies with the manufacturer (whoever that might be!) who provide poor inconsistent and badly translated information.

Thomann deal with a huge number of products and are able to provide many of them at the very lowest prices. I would not expect them to re-write data on each and every product and if they did I think we would be paying for it.

Overall I have been very impressed with their service and have no complaints. I would recommend them to anyone.

Very disappointing :D

Its Thomman, its like roulette!
Are the typos still there in German?

Are the typos still there in German?

Is this a subtle way of saying "Thomann are German so cut their English a little slack"?

I didn't realise they were a German company. However my complaint isn't in the poor quality of their English (which is forgiveable if it's not their first language) but they should still be able to get the space at the correct place between the words, things such as "theliefetime". I can understand them not spelling "lifetime" correctly (but believe it or not Word can spell check other languages for you too!) but the absence of the ' ' between "the" and "lifetime".

My main complaint is that they don't tell you what plug is on the end. Since it's only a £33 unit having to replace the plugs could be a significient additional cost.

My main complaint is that they don't tell you what plug is on the end. Since it's only a £33 unit having to replace the plugs could be a significient additional cost.

Used Thomann few times myself after reading recommendations both here and on R.A.T.S. , shopped there before will definitely shop there again. Prices are good, delivery is swift , people are very helpful on phone, and embarrass my lack of German with their excellent English.

Descriptions can be a bit brief but personally enjoy the saving and if have a question pick up the phone, bit quicker than email.

Generally gear arrives with a moulded on Schuko plug, at £33 would have thought bare tails would be acceptable leaving exact choice to user, 5/13/15/16/IEC/choc bloc..

Interesting chart here of 64 size LED same number of LEDs as 56

http://www.centerstagelighting.com/cgi-bin...r64led&mt=1

Archived