LED Pars

BlueShift

Howdy. :) Can someone help? New to this forum and to lighting am a sound guy, run a recording studios and do lots of PA work etc. Have ordered 2 of the Thomann Stairville 64s and 2 of their Eurolite 64s which I note are 32W as opposed to the others at 15W? Anyone notice a difference between the 2 lamps outputs? Quite a difference in price. Am looking for a controller to use with them and thinking of the Stairville DMX Master as budget is tight, Stairville controller. Does this seem like a good idea? Would like to add some further lights as budget allows but it is only for simple band lighting set up. Any help at all on even the basics of all this, DMX cables, programming or choice of gear very gratefully received as you all know so much more than me....Cheers.

Hi - I too am new to the wonderful world of blue-room. Have you had a chance to compare the two different cans yet? I am condsidering the Eurolite 32 watt, 10mm cans which look like they should be brighter. Obviously without a gel holder you can't do the frost filter trick which is a bit of a shame but you can't win them all. All the best

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy. :rolleyes: Can someone help? New to this forum and to lighting am a sound guy, run a recording studios and do lots of PA work etc. Have ordered 2 of the Thomann Stairville 64s and 2 of their Eurolite 64s which I note are 32W as opposed to the others at 15W? Anyone notice a difference between the 2 lamps outputs? Quite a difference in price. Am looking for a controller to use with them and thinking of the Stairville DMX Master as budget is tight, Stairville controller. Does this seem like a good idea? Would like to add some further lights as budget allows but it is only for simple band lighting set up. Any help at all on even the basics of all this, DMX cables, programming or choice of gear very gratefully received as you all know so much more than me....Cheers.

Hi - I too am new to the wonderful world of blue-room. Have you had a chance to compare the two different cans yet? I am considering the Eurolite 32 watt, 10mm cans which look like they should be brighter. Obviously without a gel holder you can't do the frost filter trick which is a bit of a shame but you can't win them all. All the best

I,ve not used the stairville controller but it looks rather limited. My experience of working with amateur/semi-pro bands is they often don't know what song they are going to play next & if they do are unlikely to let the lighting guy in on the secret. If you are going to have any chance of lighting live & on the fly you will need a desk with pretty well instant access to scenes, colours, beam position etc. Obviously this all comes at a price. We are considering the zero 88 Fat Frog but this is around £2178 with vat & without discounts. The Behringer Eurolight LC2412 for around £150 looks interesting & cost effective at around £150 but I've not used one so can't comment on if they are easy to use live.

Hope this helps - good luck. P.S. any comparisons on the two different led par cans?....Cheers.

The Behringer Eurolight LC2412 for around £150 looks interesting & cost effective at around £150 but I've not used one so can't comment on if they are easy to use live.

From my own experience, AND of other peoples, the flash buttons fail quite often ( I have 2 dodgy buttons on mine)

And also, the LCD screen is a nightmare, and the manual seems to have been written before the product design had been finished

• 4 weeks later...

what you want is the SGM Palco 3 - you can get different lenses - I use them with 40degree lenses all the time and they are completely fab, they do exactly what they say they do and better than thomas or pulsar fixtures or any far eastern crap - any colour, bright, smooth field, no blotches between colours. if you pay £50 for some cheap crap then you will get a crap light.

if you spend the right amount from a proper lighting manufacturer then you will get what you want, it will be good and it will last. ( thomas and pulsar are good manufacturers - they just dont make as good led fittings as the Palco!!)

what you want is the SGM Palco 3 - you can get different lenses - I use them with 40degree lenses all the time and they are completely fab, they do exactly what they say they do and better than thomas or pulsar fixtures or any far eastern crap - any colour, bright, smooth field, no blotches between colours. if you pay £50 for some cheap crap then you will get a crap light.

if you spend the right amount from a proper lighting manufacturer then you will get what you want, it will be good and it will last. ( thomas and pulsar are good manufacturers - they just dont make as good led fittings as the Palco!!)

mmmm, do the sums. on a Lumens-per-£ factor any luxeon based product is frankly a joke. You wonder why there isnt a Luxeon based PixelLine?

The palco may be better in terms of per-fixture performance, but I have a ceiling covered with 90 LED parcans that will disagree on being an inferior choice :D

With the proviso of allowing for sending the faulty ones back :)

At over a grand I think I'll just buy twice as many of the chepo ones and have spares on hand for the early failures. I gather that once you've got past the "burn in period" they tend to be reasonably reliable.

The 40 Par56's in my roof are still all working perfectly & even running through two sets of diffusion acrylic I still rarely run any channel at 100%.

I really don't think there is comparison with £1-1.5K units. They serve a different purpose and I'm sure most are well aware of them.

However, since they were mentioned, has anyone been able to A/B the SGM Palco3 against the DTS models? DTS are approx 2/3rd the price. I'm about to purchase one or the other. No speculation please, I've seen them at Plasa and studied the differences but I have not been able to sit them next to each other and see if the light output is similar enough to get more of the cheaper ones!

Archived