LED Pars

BlueShift

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look closely at the screen your reading this on.... :-)

Picture made of RGB dots, additive mixing, same with light, RGB LED will give you white, but because of seperate sources might colour fringe a bit and white LEDs wil deliver more light in white than RGB mixing will.

White LED with gel if front of it does not work well, for colours RGB is better.

Good post by musht on LED dice. Thanks

On the Live Design site http://livedesignonline.com/ldtv/ there is a video Episode 1: Selador - Dec 06 from LDI 2006 which shows the companies seven led system which does not use a white led to produce white but a mix of the seven. Well worth a look as they argue that even RGBA has shortcomings.

Most current White LEDs use visible blue with a yellow phosphor to get white, as seen in Christmas lights everywhere, the getting familiar blue white colour. Warm white LEDs are around that give a more incandescent look but brightness is down substantially on cool white.

Like RGB mixing, White LED has pretty awful colour rendering, especially on skin tones, worth being aware of. Your average LED torch will give you a good indication.

Thanks Don glad someone found it interesting ;-) couple of errata`s Seoul is of course in South Korea and apart from intentional attempts to counterfeit Luxeon LEDs, name appears to be getting like Hoover for vacuum cleaners, not all high power LEDs are Luxeons.

Selador been around for a while and still fairly unique, adding the whole Luxeon colour range together makes sense, RGB + Amber allows some of the warmer pastels but without Cyan some cooler colours won`t happen. Trying to hit the right colour with 7 faders isn`t so easy though.

Had great fun today, lighting up the local Church for a candle lit carol service. I cheated however, and had slowly changing states for my six LED pars. There was also well over 800 fairy lights to light the orchestra's music, and three birdies on the back window. There are only two pars lighting the back area. LEDs may not look good on flesh but they like white-washed walls!

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2189/stjohnsuf9.th.jpg

I got 4 of these from Thomann, ordered Friday, dispatched Monday, delivered Wednesday. You'd get slower delivery from many companies in the UK!

Model received was Showtec (6 Channel)

They work great and certainly brightened up a local village hall for a youth group Christmas party last weekend. They received favourable comments from all the parents and many of the kids!

Only thing is that one of them has a strange characteristic...

When set to sound to light 3 of the lamps flash between 7 colours (Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and whiteish) as you would expect, but the fourth only flashes Red, Green and Blue with a flicker of all the LEDs between each solid colour.

Anyone any ideas? I've tried playing with the dip switches but not made it work like the other three.

Thanks

At the end of august a placed an order for 20 stairville led par 36's from thomann, along with some other kit, including 70m of DMX cable. As of yet, I have not received any of the pars or DMX cable :angry: . I cannot beleive that a supplier like thomann has not had more than 70m of DMX cable in stock for over 4 months!!!!

The Led Pars were ordered to be installed before a particular event, which has long gone.

Most people I have talked to have commended thomann for swift delivery and great customer service, should I take it personally then that thomann have let me down so badly with no care at all.

The latest date I have been given for delivery is early january, call me a sceptic, but I am not holding my breath <_< .

Has anyone else had any trouble with delivery from thomann??

At the end of august a placed an order for 20 stairville led par 36's from thomann, along with some other kit, including 70m of DMX cable. As of yet, I have not received any of the pars or DMX cable :( . I cannot beleive that a supplier like thomann has not had more than 70m of DMX cable in stock for over 4 months!!!!

The Led Pars were ordered to be installed before a particular event, which has long gone.

To be fair to Thomann, they're great when the items are in stock, but aren't very good at keeping you updated when they're not, other than in the first contact. Many other suppliers are also duff when things are out of stock. My experience is that you need to take control of the situation.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a load of lighting kit from Thomann, which I needed for this week. All was showing as in stock, other than a few hook clamps. This was also shown on the order confirmation. A week later I called them to check on progress, and they told me they were still waiting on supplies for that item, at which point I happily gave them a substitute item. That was on Thursday, and the (free) delivery arrived the following Monday.

Others might part deliver an order in a case like this, but many wouldn't (or would charge you for the privilege).

To be fair to Thomann, they're great when the items are in stock, but aren't very good at keeping you updated when they're not, other than in the first contact. Many other suppliers are also duff when things are out of stock. My experience is that you need to take control of the situation.

We have been in regular contact with thomann, and they did offer us alternative products, the only problem is that there is no reasonable alternative for the Par 36's that I am aware of from thomann. and we were offered a refund, but I have no hope of finding a comparable product for the same price anywhere else.

To be fair to them, they did send half the order, including the XLR connectors I needed to make up DMX cable, only I am still without the actual cable itself!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived