LED Pars

BlueShift

Bearing in mind my cynicism about lower quality LEDs,on balance of quality versus value looks like these will probably be appearing everywhere if they actually arrive in stock:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_hl_x_h...d_washlight.htm

63W LED flood for sub 400 quid.

Nice, but is it 8 times as bright as the sub £50 units? I'm still waiting to see a high power LED unit (luxeon or whatever) that actually is worth the extra cost vs a 3/5 mm LED equivalent.

Thanks for that, oh dear! Someone needs to employ a new PCB designer urgently. That really isn`t going to be whole lot of use.

mmmmm, methinks they are just buying standard Luxeon PCB's off the shelf. Although I would have expected Luxeon to do more appropriate parts.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not 8 times as bright, usually use as a *rough* guide that a 1W LED will be *about* as bright as 15 5mm LEDs.

So typical 50 quid can, 151/153 5mm LEDs, will be about as bright as 10 1W LEDs.

Unit in question is 63 1W LEDs so around(ish) 6 times as bright. Clip in optics should also allow a choice of beam angles.

**Around, about, ish, different optics, manufacturers and heatsinking means 15 times very rough guesstimate on the conservative side.

Don`t think these will be Lumileds Luxeon LEDs or panels, even without buying a lot of LEDs can get Chinese generic 1W LEDs at 1/3rd price of Luxeon part, metal cored PCBs are made by a lot of people nowadays and aren`t strictly neccesary anyway.Just a darn shame they went for single colour panels, really no difference to make PCB 3 channel.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this one but thought its nice to keep it in one place....

I've seen since this thread petered out that Thomann are now doing 10mm Par64's and wondered if anyone had any experiences of them?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/euroliteled_par_6..._10_mm_leds.htm

The lumens output seem better compared to the 56's on the Eurolite site, but what are they like in the real world? Slightly put off by the fact they don't come with frames/holders so filters will not be an option, but if they perform better its worth the hassle.

all I can say is that I wouldnt buy the cheap led par 56's, I bought a pair from thomann which arrived last week. they have both been on for no more than 5 hours and each have lost a string of green leds so far!! not impressed. anyone else had problems with these? will be making a phone call tomorrow to return. my £0.02 worth. :)

bought 4 of the same from that supplier about 9 months ago they are gigged twice weekly for about 4 hours at a time,but in stand alone mode and no trouble as yet .are you putting them thru a controller or linking them .just a thought as.to the source of your problems.if they are not scratched or damaged apart from the fault and you return them in the original packaging then you should get a refund otherwise goodluck they will repair them .fingers crossed.

Cheap 'eastern' manufactured LEDs have a quite high 'early hour failure'. Owing to the fact that the LEDs are in strings of two of four the loss of a single LED will destroy the whole string (they fail to short circuit which overcurrents and destroys the remainder of the string).

Once you get past the very early hour ('infant mortality') risk the problems per hour drops off sharply and the units should last quite a long time (though not as long as a 'western' manufacture unit).

LED floods get mentioned in this thread on the Planet Christmas forum, with some pictures.

Interesting pics. I assume that the American DJ Part with the 10mm LEDs would be pretty similar to the EuroLite one from mentioned above. I note the American DJ one does not use DIP switches, but a digital interface. The question really is if the LEDs are different in it.

Nice to see what a difference the diffusion made in the pics as well.

Regards

Ben

Nice to see what a difference the diffusion made in the pics as well.

Yes, that's probably one of the most interesting bits of the post. For those who can't be bothered trawling through Santa's Wonderland, they took the diffuser from a standard 2-tube fluorescent fitting and cut an octagon-shape to fit in front of the LED pars. It made a significant difference....

post-1459-1180561773_thumb.jpgpost-1459-1180561742_thumb.jpgpost-1459-1180561759_thumb.jpg

Lots more pics in the original thread....

Are american DJ products available in Europe, or does anyone know who manufacturers them (i.e. is there an alternative branded option?)

Also, is it possible to buy Parcan frame holders separately from anywhere? It wouldn't take long with a rivet gun to retrofit some to the Eurolite ones. Very impressive with the diffuser in place!!

It kind of makes it a shame now that the EuroLite ones don't have the gel frame holder on them. I guess this is where the Gaffa Tape comes in :P

Ben

Clip on plastic lid from catering can.....

Archived