LED Pars

BlueShift

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is only projecting just under 2m though. Taking them to the rehearsal room next week to give me some idea of what there really like.

In the situation I'm using them in that will be plenty. They will be a cyc wash in a show I'm lighting (non school) and I will probs get 6-8.

Josh

• 5 months later...

I have two of the Eurolite Par 64's. I have totally failed to get them to work with DMX in. Anyone out there come across this problem?

I have tried both my Leapfrog and a Sweetlight pc controller. I have six of the earlier LED pars and they work fine.

I have 6 of the 10mm Eurolite Par64's and have not had any problems on DMX at all. Are you referring to the newer 1W units or are yours the 10mm ones? Dip 10 needs to be on for DMX and make sure channel 4 is up to get light output (apologies if thats stating the obvious)

(apologies if thats stating the obvious)
It isn't.

The 'cheaper' end of LED par have a huge variety of DMX attribute schemes. Very annoying.

I had the misfortune of trying to use Eurolite 1W LED Pars recently and we simply could not work out the attributes - the owner didn't have a manual and they didn't know either.

Attrib 6 seemed to be Macro, but couldn't work out the others.

On *some* Eurolite LED devices Dip 10 must be ON for DMX control, on others it must be OFF.

Some are 7 channel, others are six. Some have dimmer channels, some don't.

As the manual for most of them isn't readily available, it gets extremely irritating.

I should add, I had a conversation with someone who said there was a DMX indicator in the centre of the back of the can. I had never noticed this as it never has lit. I suspect I have a couple of duff units. This has got to be the biggest problem with buying stuff abroad, get a sensible answer out of them about returns!

In answer to the other point, they are the 10mm pars. The sound to light internal control works fine though.

I recently purchased 8 of the Eurolite par64 10mm LED lights, haven't had a problem with them yet, control is via a cheap Stairville DMX controller, all seems to be working fine, I have not terminated the DMX chain yet (was going to, but they seem fine without).

I have scanned the manual and uploaded it to a file hosting site if anyone needs it:

Eurolite LED par56/64 manual

• 1 month later...

I use the James Thomas Pixel Par P90's and rate them highly.

Their ouput is comparable to a 1KW parcan, even better at deep blues.

I wouldn't use them to provide white light for people, but they are just about acceptable for scenery; I find the best white is achieved at about 100%green, 30%blue & 50%red. It gets quite tricky picking a white point somewhere between too blue or too red.

For colours, they are excellent.

(They are quite a bit heavier than a normal parcan as they have a substantial heatsink.)

It has been some time since I have tried one of the cheap led parcans, I have never found them bright or reliable enough for corporate shows. (The last thing I need is a half of my lights to stop working or worse; develop a mind of their own in the middle of the Chief Exec's speech.)

I was hoping some of you may be able to help me; there now seems to be quite a selection of "mid-range" led parcan units on the market. Does anyone have experince of such units who can compare the performance to a 1KW parcan and have some insight to the build quality and reliability?

Here's a few units which look promising:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/litecraft_led_stu...b_pro_black.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_...color_led3w.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_led_par_6...wer_18x3w_b.htm

(I will be using some of the litecraft units on a job in Germany shortly, I will follow this up with my thoughts on them.)

• 1 year later...

Yes I know this is an old thread but it's the main one on BR regarding LED pars, so I thought it would be best to stick my question on the end...

Specific question - are budget RGB LED pars available in a white casing? I may have a job coming up where they may be the ideal fixture to use. My Google and BR searching reveals nothing of the sort so I'm not expecting the answer to be yes. Obviously it brings up plenty of references to white LED pars but they're white LEDs not RGB and even the BR searching brings up plenty of references to how people like their tea which doesn't help much!

I'm aware of things like those cheap '8 LED units from one controller' things that come in white and white Pulsar Chromathingies but neither would be suitable - I'm specifically asking about LED pars (56 or 64) with white casings...

Thanks,

Mark

if you need white units, you could do worse than looking at the led technonolgies units from SFX distribution, they sell a slim par 64 with 180 10mm leds thats pretty bright and comes with a double yoke. Its only 50mm thick, and 3 pin data plus iec mains in and out which is handy. we have a load { in black} and they are a fair bit better than the usual budget units but still pretty cheap. 4 ch DMX -RGB plus dimmer/ stobe. they seem fairly smooth. You can also get a version that works off a IR remote and acts as a master unit with inbuilt chases and the ability to set a precise colour. I wouldnt be using these if the bufget was unlimited and the tour 2 years long, but at the money they tick a fair few boxes...We can supply if required

cheers

Alastair

I've seen them painted with white plastikote paint before - seems to work quite well and the lanterns dont get hot enough to discolour or flake the paint - but be sure to disassemble the fixture and paint the body separately so as not to block ventilation holes etc.

On a semi related (continuing the mammoth cheap LED pars thread) has anyone used the new "litecraft" 3W RGBA LED Pars - been considering getting a few of them to light set and for backlight in spaces with limited power (currently have several 1W Thomann LED Pars which are used for this purpose and generally I've been quite surprised with the output from them)

Archived