LED Pars

BlueShift

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah no, I think my last post was badly writen. With the DMX in, and all levels at zero, I noticed mine flickering while the cast were having a break. When they all left at the end, they flickered as I walked to wards them, so I thought about the audio aspect of them. Turning this off solved the problem.

Is ok. My post was badly written too! I was just confirming DMX was not involved. I understood what you meant and it does appear to work. Thankyou ;) You've got to love those funny Chinese translation manuals!

Is still a bit of a mystery why the DF was involved or making it more likely to happen. I could hit the unit (sound to light official simulation) and nothing would happen, but is irrelevant - they seem to be stable like this so I am ready to go ahead and buy more.

I would imagine these are purely eye candy too look at I very much doubt the light output would be good enough to use as a wash light.....

If there was a colour mixing wash on the market at that price everyone would be stocking them.

if some one gets hold of one please post up to let us know how you got on.

;)

Myself and others have purchased and given details. I thought I provided a comprehensive review with pictures?

Effect is basic, as you would expect, but build quality is surprisingly ok. Light output probably equivalent to 150-200W. Suitable for effect & highlighting and the blue output is not far off that from a normal can after filters etc.

Here is a pic of my 6 Par56s pointing to a black surge drape, rest of lighting is 3kw of a dark blue wash with 5 x 300watt Minims in a light Amber, on a stage with a rig height of 6m20. Still in rehearsals at the moment, so more set to go in, as well as white banners for the LEDs to light. Might be of interest for those that like comparison pics..Joseph's brothers in France

• 2 weeks later...

I saw these a while back (they had been on ebay as well) :-

RGB LED DMX PAR Lighting witft 630 LEDs at 50 watts power

And I thought they might be worth a punt. So I ordered one, and left it on the slow boat from China. I saw no point in paying extra to get it quickly since it was only for a test. Well it arrived this morning (after only 6 weeks, so thats a lot faster than they said). That however is where the good news ends I feel.

First off I had to fix around 6 dry joints to make all the LEDs work. Ok so thats no big deal I guess, but its very cheaply made (as you might expect). The quality of the soldering etc is very poor and the PCB does not fit correctly in the case, which puts stress on it, hence I would expect to see some more soldering needed soon. (I have left it on for the moment to soak test it).

I have to say I am very disappointed in the light output. I have a few bright LED torche, and I bought a few bright LEDs a few years back to make on these units myself (never quit got round to finishing it, but I was able to blind myself quite successfully with them). The LEDs I bought, and the torches I have are quite a lot brighter than this. I can for instance look directly at it without it blinding me (The GREEN LEDs leave a slight imprint when you look away). Also the RED LEDs are significantly dimmer that the BLUE and GREEN ones.

Oh yes, I had to fix another fault with it as well, the RED and GREEN power wires were the wrong way round, so the wrong colour came up on the faders.

From the specs it sounded idea, 4 channel DMX (master, R,G,B) but the reality is (as I think we all know anyway) you get what you pay for, and this is cheap Chinese rubbish, so stay clear of them. Certainly not a replacement for anything, but maybe as an up-lighter on a wall they might be ok. I'll have to try that at some point.

Ben

Hows about this then, I was a little boared at work the other day, so decided to carry out a small experiment. I set a par 64 with cp62 lamp up facing at 90 degress to upright, then at 1M from that placed a digital Lumens meter and on the 100x range came up with a reading of 410, then did the same again but this time at 2M, this gave a result of 123 ( again on the 100x range) So after that I replaced the PAR 64 for a showtec LED par 64 curtios of 10 out of 10, ahem! At 1M with the scale on the meter this time on the 1X range, firsty with the Blue leds I got a reading of 513, Green was 700, and Red was 488 ( all of those were at 1M and on the 1X range)

Use less I know! (my experiment that is!)

That comes as no surprise, although you really should have placed some gels in front of the cp62. I think the blue would compare surprisingly better then. There is no argument about these replacing generics or being able to do that job, but for £45 you get a suprisingly good colour changing/dimmable fixture that will never need a bulb change. It's unscientific and basic but build quality is fine. If I wasn't so sure I would not have just bought 40 of them.

Incidentally I would add to my previous tests that the sound-to-light is most definitely 100% useless, just in case someone was considering using it!

• 2 weeks later...

right , I havent got time to read through this thread...

I am after a couple of led par cans or led 'bricks' / battens for colour washing a wall or two,

ideally I want them to run a slow colour change/scroll in stand alone mode as I dont want to be running control cables to where they will be fixed..

do they exist? and if so where?

Budget: approx £100 per fixture

LED Par 64

LED Par 64

The Showtec LED Par 64 Short is a Par 64 with RGB colourmixing. Due to the use of LEDs, the lifetime is extremely long and the powerconsumption is very low. The Showtec LED Par 64 contains 153 LEDs (51 red, 51 green and 51 blue). It can be controlled by 4 DMX channels (R,G,B and preprogrammed chases and colours) automatically by its built-in processor or music-controlled by its internal microphone.

I think that might be just what I am looking for.... anyone used them?

I'm afraid that saying "I havent got time to read through this thread..." just isn't good enough. As a Blue Room member you are expected to ensure your question has not already been answered. There is a search facility at the top of the page to help you with this, and any thread discovered by it must be read to ensure you're not asking a question which has already been answered.

JSB. Moderator.

Yes. That's pretty much what this whole thread is about. Pls do take the time to read. I provided a full review inc. photos. They will do the job but it depends on how bright you want it and unless you use some sort of diffusion some of the colour mixing will show the component colours as a halo.

Archived