LED Pars

BlueShift

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they do tend to flicker towards the blackout end of a fade. Normally not noticable on 3 - 5 sec fades. I had need of a 15 sec fade though and it flickered for ages. I got round this one by linking two cues together, one slow for 13 sec to a level above flicker, then a fast .5 sec cue to take them out, seemed to work.

I was very impressed by the six I had - take a look at this all up state with 3 of them on a sky blue, onto white gauze.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/883/ledsup0bc.jpg

And yes, that is a camel entering SL!

Test units turned up this morning (ok, yesterday morning!) & so I was very impressed with Thomann speed.
EXCELLENT report nic - I've been ruminating about a handfull of these (had a couple of small par 36's but these were pinched 2 weeks after we had them!!!:rolleyes:)

The output looks pretty good in the first unfiltered pics.

Yes, for effects work they could very well be worth a tickle....

TD

Thankyou! Glad to be of help :rolleyes:

So, as an update the further 40 units took a little while longer to arrive but I was again impressed by Thomann. They called our office once the goods were ready to check for a suitable delivery time & the delivery company also called on the day to advise of arrival. Strange how this does not happen if you ordered a kitchen from a big well known store down the road! All was packaged neatly and safely on a pallet.

Out of the 42 units only one had a faulty strip of green LED's in the middle (due to one leg of a LED having snapped off).

Since I did not want direct light for the effect I decided to use pieces of acrylic (some frost and some white diffusion) cut to gel frame size. The frost looks very nice but the white diffusion needs a couple of inches extra distance for a really solid look. How to achieve this is the final hurdle - maybe I will use two pieces with one sitting in the frame holders and the other spaced out with machine screws/nuts etc. Or maybe I can fabricate longer gel frame holders... Any ideas anyone?

Preparing, providing power and DMX distribution for this many units has taken some time, but I'm nearly there. When up and running I will try and do some photos!

How to achieve this [spaced gel frames] is the final hurdle - maybe I will use two pieces with one sitting in the frame holders and the other spaced out with machine screws/nuts etc. Or maybe I can fabricate longer gel frame holders... Any ideas anyone?

As you (sort of) say, perhaps tapped spacers as used for spacing printed circuit boards off project boxes? Or threaded rod, with nuts to hold the stuff on in the right place.

I wish I had the cash lying around to purchase a whole lot of these, the fact that they'd have to be shipped specially doesn't help...

One day, one day... meantime just got to harrass the asian manufacturers to let me buy directly from them in quantities less than 500....

David

Just a check - these were the £45 +vat par 56's, yes?

Yes

@David: Tnx. Yes, actually the threaded rod/nuts was what I meant by machine screws. I had thought about PCB or similar spacers - just not too sure whether long enough ones exist (need 1.5-2" ideally). So, off I go to some electronics spares sites!....

/Edit: ... and now I know everything there is to know about spacers and pillars, the latter being the answer to the length problem. Perfect! (quote dependant :rolleyes: )

One day, one day... meantime just got to harrass the asian manufacturers to let me buy directly from them in quantities less than 500....

Could try harassing Jansens to get a load - they already bring pars in by the containerload (and have already won the Blue Room "cheapest parcan" battle)

I went off on a Google adventure, and finished up at this site: Imagemagick I thought it might be of use to folks here, so am posting the link. I hope I can use those RGB values at the side of the colours to set the DMX values for the LED Pars. Will let you know how I get on when the toys arrive!

Um... forgot about this, and you can too! White for me was Red and Green at full and Blue at about half. Never mind.

Finally got around to adding best show pics to my website, if anybody wants a couple more pics of LED lights in action. Joseph

Just getting them back out for another gig, when I noticed I had lost four green LED's on one of the units. Popped it open and the soldering isn't up to much, but that sadly isn't the solution. Very little in the way of a heatsink, but there is a large empty area for air to circulate. Will try contacting Eurolite to buy replacement parts.

I guess they have been on for 24 hours at a minimum, if I were to add the hours per show/rehearsal.

• 2 weeks later...

A little tongue in cheek - apologies to Chris B for the direct question, but just wondering whether CPC are going to be getting some LED pars in like those in the Thomann range? (And at the similar price, of course!!)

Tony

Archived