Multi-channel playback systems

paulears

There's no obligation to upgrade. I tend to do it to get the newer features as they're generally worth having but for a dedicated machine that just keeps doing the same job, you could probably just stick with the same version. Assuming they're not changing to a subscription model like so many other software houses are. You've got me worried now!

Re SCS, you need to distinguish between Upgrades, i.e. changing to a higher license level, and Updates, which incorporate bug fixes and enhancements.

From the current T&Cs page

Update Plans

The license fee entitles you to free updates for 12 months from the date of purchase. After 12 months you may purchase an Update Plan which will entitle you to download updates for another 12 months. A 12-month update plan costs 20% of the current cost of the license you have (eg if you have a single-user SCS Professional license then the cost of a 12-month update plan will be 20% of the cost of an single-user SCS Professional license at the time you purchase the update plan). There is no obligation to purchase an update plan - you may continue using the version of SCS you have for as long as you like.

So if you have a stable version that you like, there is no need to update. An Update Plan for the SCS Professional license is £20.60 p/a. If you watch the SCS Forum you can keep in touch with issues and be alerted to new versions.

SCS video is now pretty sophisticated, handling up to 4 screens. Check out the forum to get an idea of what people are doing with it.

I will - cheers for the nudge.

One question is it simple enough for a drummer to operate? (serious question, not a drummer joke - just as in easy to perhaps skip a track, or fire off as a drop in after a vamped intro)

You can control it via the PC keyboard or via a midi controller, so if you had a midi controller with big keys you can assign each key to do a particular job. It's quite flexible.

Oh, and there's also a user group on farcebook if you're that way inclined, where the authors hang out and answer queries.

I would also recommend Ableton Live. Really flexible piece of software and is really easy to work with on the fly. See the screenshot (hopefully) below or attached (I just grabbed it from google).

You can have channels for each instrument (eg in the screenshot below "Bass" "Synth" etc) and then simply mute the channel if they are playing live that night. Allows you to add effects etc on each channel too (at the bottom when you select a channel). You can even process live signals coming in. A lot like a real mixing console.

You can also then have sections (see the right hand side labelled "intro" "part 1" etc) so you can choose to repeat the chorus one more time at the end for example. Nice and easy on the fly. It will even beat match kind of function so it doesn't just jump straight into another part. It will wait a set number of bars or beats until it moves. Very clever.

Probably the main bit though is that it is fully midi'able so you can purchase a controller to make things super simple. I use a little LPD8 which costs under £30 and you can use then to scroll through to the next song etc. I also use this with QLab too! Something a drummer can easily hit.

It is well worth a look anyway. It might not be something you go for now but I would recommend you spend some time having a look.

ableton-live-106_1.jpg

PS. I recently watched a video about the band "chvrches" and their setup. An example is Ableton patches a simple midi keyboard to three different hardware synths as the song progresses. Processes triggers and even looks after all their complete monitoring system! I was amazed what they have done with it. Link here if anyone is interested:

Hi Paul, as others have said, the initial price is purchasing the software and you can use it as long as you like without paying any more. Subsequent years you can pay an annual fee for updates or just not bother. I've found the updates worthwhile as, unlike most software, SCS is continually being developed and improved. As was said above, a feature request is taken seriously and they do get incorporated if at all possible. As far as I can tell, the guy behind it is pretty much a one many band--and, on the occasions I've asked a question on the user forums, he usually gets back to me within an hour or two. I sure wish other software I use had as good a customer service as SCS.

I'm just putting together a new project, and I'm looking for ideas for multi-track playback. The band will be probably 4 people plus a singer. The snag is that the band will rotate - so one gig we may have a guitarist and no sax player, the next might have no sax but guitar, and other permutations. Some of the songs also have short sections using instruments one of our regular guys can double, but his dep cannot play.

So all the sources live and recorded come up at the desk (an X-32) and the sound op balances real and recorded material. A PC or a mac would be available, as would an old Alesis HD24 - but it needs to be simple and reliable. Song lists probably not finalised until 30 minutes before curtain up. The band and singer would be on a mix of wedges and IEMS - personal preference more than need. Drummer would always be IEM - so handy for the count ins I guess. Backup wise we also need something - I'm thinking maybe a mono mixed version with click? No issues at all with the band and tracks, we've all got experience of playing to clicks - but the system MUST be reliable.

I guess computers could simply go direct in digitally to the mixer - but it would have been nice to have the band fire the tracks, not the sound op. Software? I suppose qlab on the mac, but what would be similar if we went PC? The system at the moment that we will be using has the X32, stage box, P16 personal mixers the distribution for them and works fine at the moment. So it's just adding multi-track playback. Given choice, I'd rather not have a computer involved, but can't think of a stand alone device. The HD24 is pretty awkward loading tracks, and a bit OTT.

If anyone has any ideas to smooth the quest - I'd love to hear them, especially any DO NOT USE XXXXXX posts. My old system had mono track on MD, or where the timing was obvious in the tracks a two channel mix from MD - and we still have piles of MD playback kit. OK for emergency, but we will have all kinds of stuff on the tracks, so it really will need mixing.

I'm sure all the ways suggested in this thread will work fine, but really they're overly complicated. AFAIK, there is only 1 piece of software that's actually MADE to do what you are asking (multi-track backing tracks with click) and has a Windows and OSX version. It's called StageTracker and it's pretty amazing. I discovered it a couple of years ago (it wasn't easy to find).

As I say, it's designed for exactly what you're doing.

• You just check or uncheck tracks to mute/play them.
  • You can trigger songs by MIDI or spacebar.
  • You can create setlists and move songs around by drag-and-drop even on on the fly
  • It has a lyric sheet that can be notes or cues that the operator can see, timed with the song - this is one of the best features that every band loves!
  • Super-simple to use. Up/Down arrows or song numbers to select a song, spacebar to stop/start
  • Tracks have level/pan/eq controls
  • Free demo (5 songs max)
  • Good support

I've never seen anything else like it on the market. As I say, the other methods (Ableton/Garageband/SCS/QLab, etc.) will all work, but are overkill for what you're doing, and overly complex. Also they don't work on both platforms.

Check it out. If you have any questions, let me know. I've used it quite a bit.

I loaded it into my mac - fiddled for ten minutes then gave up for the moment. I will try it on a pc later when I've prepped todays stuff. Could be good - very simple, I like it, but just can't manage to get a song or two into it yet.

I could easily use my own sequencer - does Ableton let you load and then run setlist?

I loaded it into my mac - fiddled for ten minutes then gave up for the moment. I will try it on a pc later when I've prepped todays stuff. Could be good - very simple, I like it, but just can't manage to get a song or two into it yet.

When you have a moment, watch the videos on the website. They show you how to use it. It's mostly drag/drop. If you have any questions, let me know. Once you get it going, it's amazingly simple and works great.

All clear now - works fine on my PC, just hates the Mac. The problem is that the box that you enter the song name won't allow typing. On the PC it does, so you can access the next screen where you load the music files. It seems simple and might be a solution. I suspect that maybe it's a thing with the last update from Yosemite on the Mac. On PC - it works with no hitch at all. Most things now do things when you guess you can click on them, so it is quite intuitive.

Cool!

He's been updating it, and I had an issue with permissions recently. What seemed to be happening was that I couldn't save the changes I'd made to the setlist.

I'm not a Mac guy so I don't understand these things, but creating a new Songs folder and a new Setlist on my desktop seemed to fix it. I'll mention this issue to him again and have him look into it. He's pretty responsive to suggestions and bug fixes.

I've never had any trouble at all with the Windows version either.

Designed for church applications, but Worship Backing Band does something very similar, and also does key and tempo changes. Might suit some bands - although you would have to source the stems, or record your own.

Looks like a simple to use piece of software, but like almost all other backing track software, it doesn't look like it supports multi-channel audio. It's also missing one of the really useful features of ST, the Cue/Text screen. However, the MIDI control, tempo/key adjustments and looping features look very handy.

What is best for you will depend on what you need!

Archived