rock concert

napster

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While looking for a hire company I found a Pulsar 3 Way 500W Flood light and I woundered if this wound if this would be any good?

thanks

iain

That all depends on what you want to do with it!!!

Floods, in my experience at least, are best used to light set rather than performance spaces. Particularly as it's only a 500W, you'd have difficulty trying to get any kind of decent light on a performance area with it, it would barely lift the overall light level if you're using it with other lights.

One thing I have done in the past with them, though, is put a colour in them and shone them straight down on a performer in a smoke filled stage... it's a brilliant one time effect for a band entrance if you did that then gradually brought up spotlights on the musicians.....

Hey does any 1 no where I can buy a generic desk from I no u can get them from most light stage light shops but I am still tryin 2 work out if they are dmxor not (tell me the desk on the site don't just give me links).Also does any 1 no where I can get floor cans from.

thanks

Iain

I had a great reply I was even in the process of typing it… but sadly there was an ADSL outage at the exchange in Manchester so my broadband died (3 time this month). Oh well… I hate BT :P

Sorry :P but I am annoyed at BT and had to tell someone…

Basically the post was saying don’t buy a tacky lighting desk because you need one urgently either invest a decent amount or hire…

While looking for a hire company I found a Pulsar 3 Way 500W Flood light and I woundered if this wound if this would be any good?

thanks

iain

Floods, in my experience at least, are best used to light set rather than performance spaces. Particularly as it's only a 500W, you'd have difficulty trying to get any kind of decent light on a performance area with it, it would barely lift the overall light level if you're using it with other lights.

One thing I have done in the past with them, though, is put a colour in them and shone them straight down on a performer in a smoke filled stage... it's a brilliant one time effect for a band entrance if you did that then gradually brought up spotlights on the musicians.....

yer thanks for that idea if I put diffrent colours on each lamp (it is split in to 3)would this make a good effect all the way thorght.

thanks

Iain

thanks

iain

yer thanks for that idea if I put diffrent colours on each lamp (it is split in to 3)would this make a good effect all the way thorght.

thanks

Iain

Hmmm I don't think you could really use it more than once in a show, it gets a bit boring after a while.

Another thig to consider doing with it is pointing it into the audience and turning them different colours at random times...

thanks

iain

thanks

Iain

Hmmm I don't think you could really use it more than once in a show, it gets a bit boring after a while.

Another thig to consider doing with it is pointing it into the audience and turning them different colours at random times...

Yer that would be pretty funny and make a gd effect!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe in som a guitar solo or sumthin?

iain

Why not. This is rock afterall :( What I have done in the past is to place them at floor level on a heat proof surface and smoke the hell out of the stage before the entrance, then turn on the floods and have the band enter. Also, mounting them high over head of the band, dimming the main lights and turning the spots to full, gives a slightly ghoulish effect with purple gel, quite good for the really dark songs (if they intend to play any). Make very sure that no idiot can get to them tho, as floods are delicate, hot and prone to idiots touching them (actually, this goes for all your lanterns. And your dimmers, beer+dimmer=bad).

Why not. This is rock afterall :( What I have done in the past is to place them at floor level on a heat proof surface and smoke the hell out of the stage before the entrance, then turn on  the floods and have the band enter. Also, mounting them high over head of the band, dimming the main lights and turning the spots to full, gives a slightly ghoulish effect with purple gel, quite good for the really dark songs (if they intend to play any). Make very sure that no idiot can get to them tho, as floods are delicate, hot and prone to idiots touching them (actually, this goes for all your lanterns.  And your dimmers, beer+dimmer=bad).

Yeah, one thing you have to be SO aware of at these things is people "tweaking" the equipment. I've had all sorts of things happen to my rig in the past - people have tried to change gels, move hot lights, re patch the dimmers, fire coca cola through a smoke machine (I kid you not!). I have only ever had these problems with rock concerts though - perhaps its because the whole backstage dynamic is different - they want to be incharge and have the crew do as they're told, not the other way round as we're perhaps more used to working with. So they think that if they want to do something stupid then they damn well will, and never mind the poor LX Op trying to stop them destroying his/her equipment...

Concert rock with 250 pounds ? :( :) :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Go and get some used par cans. Probably 1 flash at middlt 750/1500w analogue.

I think u still have a few pounds for a couple of effects I think the best would be the ones with bigger lamps to create a better effect.

TIP.

Try to put the fixtures as high as you can so you get the most of them.

If someone can do something better than this with that budget he really deserves a medal.

Peace!!!!

Bad rock

Concert rock with 250 pounds ?

My first rock concert was lit for £50.

I went a little over budget. I think I got it in on about £60.

for £250 you can have...

4 stands (£24)

2 betapack 2s (£45)

2 Alphapacks (25)

20 parcans (£100)

20 3m TRS lengths (£10)

4 20m langths DMX cable (£8)

1 Elara (£30)

2 13Am > 23ASPF (£2)

2 32ASPM > 63ASPF (£3)

2 13A TRS 10m (£2)

1 13A TRS 5m (£1)

Total cost, (£250)

Disclaimer, Prices taken from my local hire company beccause it is geographicaly close to me, These were the prices from the website this morning. Usual disclaimer about other peoples prices..... (prices ex vat)

Hope this gives you some idea of what can be done on a budget.

Where is this 'concert' on? The first consideration you should always have in tackling a design is how much power you are going to have access to. Its no good trying to run 30 parcans off a 13 amp ring main!

Concert rock with 250 pounds ?

My first rock concert was lit for £50.

I went a little over budget. I think I got it in on about £60.

for £250 you can have...

4 stands (£24)

2 betapack 2s (£45)

2 Alphapacks (25)

20 parcans (£100)

20 3m TRS lengths (£10)

4 20m langths DMX cable (£8)

1 Elara (£30)

2 13Am > 23ASPF (£2)

2 32ASPM > 63ASPF (£3)

2 13A TRS 10m (£2)

1 13A TRS 5m (£1)

Total cost, (£250)

Disclaimer, Prices taken from my local hire company beccause it is geographicaly close to me, These were the prices from the website this morning. Usual disclaimer about other peoples prices..... (prices ex vat)

Hope this gives you some idea of what can be done on a budget.

What sort of stands?

just wondered

thanks

iain

Yeah, on 175-200 pounds? I say bring on the parcans- cheap and plentiful, and more versatile.

OT: (sorry)

(I should probably add, I don't like strobes, for the epeleptic effects that they can have on some people. I'd rather not take the risk/ be held responsible if something should happen. I'm using one at a punk gig this sat night, but only because the boss wants me to.....)

David

Archived