AMPS FOR NEXO PS-15

drowner77

Bad Rock, I don't like to think of my choice of Yamaha PC 9500's as the cheap choice. I like to think of it as the attractively priced choice/

From which 3rd world country are you from? Is it the same as mine? Cornwall? :(

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you ask your supplier to run a input sensitivity matched comparison of the two amps? If the difference is indeed neglible, your mind will be set at rest. If not, it's time to save up for that big amplifier:-)

Simon, can you tell me how to do this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Secondly, I cannot tell you guys how much I appreciate your help and generosity.

Thanks

AHHHIGHT my bad. Yamahas rox !!! :P :P :P :P

Well I think that if those amps were for real companys like Camco , Labg., MC2, etc would be already out of buissines.

But of course its just a thought I must put my hands on those yamahas first before talking smak about them. I believe the truth its out there! hahahaha :D

To all,

I have spoken to the company that sold me the kit and they could not have been cooler. The owner is sending me out 2 Lab Gruupen amps to try with my PS-15 system (The 3600 and 6400) to A-B them against the Yamahas.

He also said that if I liked the Lab Gruppens he would take the Yamaha's back and work out a deal on the LABs.

He said that while the Camcos are sweet, the Labs are a bit better. What do you guys think?

Customer service does exist in Britain.

I will keep you posted.

P.S. This site has really helped us so much and I want to say how great and helpful you all have been. Thanks.

I know an Ex Wigwam pro sound engineer who bows down at Lab Gruppen Amps... Saying We're not worthy!

So I take it from that, that L.G. amps are kinda good really!

Simon, can you tell me how to do this? I would greatly appreciate it

The trick is to set the amplifier's input attenuator so that either the output level being produced by each amp is the same for a given fixed input (i.e. the input sensivity may vary from amp to amp, but the output wil be the same), or to at least match the input sensitivities.

Camco has selectable volatge gain of 26 dB (x20), 32 dB(x40) or 1,4 V input sensitivity.

The Lab Gruppen has a range of selectable voltage gains.

The important thing is to compare the sonic integrity of the two amplfiers, not which one can go slightly louder (as we tend to choose the louder unit is any demo).

If none of the above makes sense, and you do not have any audio test kit, then set the gains to be the same and listen carefully :-)

Simon

I used to run my nexo ts2400's off Lab Gruppen lab 2000's which were light and awesome sounding, so I think the labs will give you the sound you are after. I too, bow down to the wonder that is Lab Gruppen.

Cant see how you can compare Lab Gruppen amps to Yamaha's?

Well, I made the comparison and A-B'ed the Yamahas and the Labs.

It was embarrassing. When the Labs were connected to the Nexos they came alive and it was awesome.

The Yamahas are just not in the same league, park, or category of the Labs.

LESSON LEARNED: If you are going to spend loads of money on a quality system, you need to pay even more to get them powered propery.

You do indeed get what you pay for.

I am keeping the Labs. They truly are stupendous/

Well, I made the comparison and A-B'ed the Yamahas and the Labs.

It was embarrassing. When the Labs were connected to the Nexos they came alive and it was awesome.

The Yamahas are just not in the same league, park, or category of the Labs.

LESSON LEARNED: If you are going to spend loads of money on a quality system, you need to pay even more to get them powered propery.

You do indeed get what you pay for.

I am keeping the Labs. They truly are stupendous/

Well greast dude, now you only need to pay top bucks for the Lg's B-)

So it turns out that I could not make the budget stretch, despite the best efforts to get me the best price on the labs.

So, I have decided upon a Camco Vortex 6 for the bottoms and a Camco Tecton 38.4 amp for the tops. I have heard them and they sound great.

I wish, however, I could have afforded the Labs, but it was a bridge a bit too far.

Archived