AMPS FOR NEXO PS-15

drowner77

I have a yamaha p7000 amp which cost under £500. its 1100 wats per side at 4ohms

it took me a while to decide which amp to buy - I wanted an mc2 or crown but they were going to cost 3 times the price of the yamaha.

you have to weigh up the pro's and cons - a crown macrotech will perform better under heavy use. if all your levels are set correctly and your not putting the amp under any kind of stress - there will be no difference in sound quality between the two - that is a proven scientific fact! - go to psw forums and read the test results - another way to prove this would be to go into a room and have someone play music through 1 amp and then another - without you knowing which amp - this has to be the case because its also a fact that if you were to look at the macrotech then play music through it, then do the same with the other - you will pick the macrotech -

the p7000 is an excellent value for money amp and the only reason its so much cheaper is because its made in china - but then you are dealing with yamaha so dont be put off by that. it is also very light! I run two ev mtl1's through it - thats 800w each side at 4 ohms of pumping bass - house music and they perform brilliantly.

all said and done - I know a small nightclub / bar in carlisle called kuba - they have yamaha p5000's installed

1 downstairs and 2 for the dancefloor upstairs. I have noticed that the one downstairs is always clipping - and its still working after 10 months. the two upstairs get hammered a lot aswell - and they are still working. by the way I have nothing to do with the installation - just dj'ed there and its not my place to interfere.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob, I A-B'd those amps and I really wanted the Yamahas to be the business. However, nothing but nothing we tried could get those Nexo's to sing the way they did with the Lab and the way they do with the Camcos.

In the end, the Camco's are every bit as good as the labs. They sound great and the bass is really thumps with them.

I suspect that Yamaha is playing fast and loose with the truth regarding their specs.

• 3 years later...
Rob, I A-B'd those amps and I really wanted the Yamahas to be the business. However, nothing but nothing we tried could get those Nexo's to sing the way they did with the Lab and the way they do with the Camcos.

In the end, the Camco's are every bit as good as the labs. They sound great and the bass is really thumps with them.

I suspect that Yamaha is playing fast and loose with the truth regarding their specs.

Hi mate,

I would recommend the Crown XTI series of Amps, I've used the iTechs, MacroiTechs and even the MicroTechs (Yes, 12 years old and going strong) and the difference is very little, the XTIs are light, Crown audio quality and warrantied. Also, due to them being switchmode they are light, and they dont break the bank!

We could argue about the PS15 needing 7MW to drive it and about how really it's not the efficient box people say it is for this reason.

But given that the last post was 3 and a half years ago, I think we'll leave it.

Appologies I didn't notice, tis good for the archives though! ;)

So it turns out that I could not make the budget stretch, despite the best efforts to get me the best price on the labs.

So, I have decided upon a Camco Vortex 6 for the bottoms and a Camco Tecton 38.4 amp for the tops. I have heard them and they sound great.

I wish, however, I could have afforded the Labs, but it was a bridge a bit too far.

MC2 would have been cheaper than the labs and would have sounded as good (may be better) with a 5 year warranty!

Archived