Radio Mic Frequencies

fincaman

Hello All, I've been looking at Senn frequency charts and in the 823 to 832 band they only show 8 is this about right ?

For G3, as per the Sennheiser chart, yes.

G2 ranges straddled the 823 to 832 band, so you could not expect to get so many frequencies (Range E was 830-865).

As far as I was aware you cant use those frequencies as they were sold off for LTE use

Once true, but after a EU decision in March 2015, 823 to 832 MHz and 1785 to 1805 MHz were released for PMSE. I understand their use was free in some member states, but in the UK the frequency bands were added to the shared licence.

With SIFM (http://en-uk.sennhei...s-sifm-software) you can squeeze out 4 frequencies in 830.000-831.900 for G2 kit in conjunction with the 4 you can get out of ch70 if you turn off 3TxIM(3) intermod. If I remember correctly you have to nudge the 3rd channel from the bank 8 preset by setting up a revised one in the U bank. Fitting all of this reprogramming in is easier if you've got the EW300 (8 freqs) or EW500 (20 freqs) ranges since EW100 only allows 4 frequencies.

http://www.blue-room...showtopic=68932

If you've got G3 then I think you can get access to the whole range (remembering the 100kHz guardbands required at top and bottom) so with SIFM you can probably pluck out 8 channels from ch65, included in the OFCOM shared license range (we were talking about this a bit a short while ago here http://www.blue-room...showtopic=69377). I defer to Simon's better knowledge of the G3 range!

Kevin

I'm a Sennheiser dealer, so naturally biased. I wasn't desperately fond of the original XSW series. I think they would be OK if they were an artist's personal system, but would not last physically if left in a church or community centre. We've recently supplied a couple of the new XSW2 with the metal casing and they are a significant step up in robustness. However they are beginning to get quite close in price to the EW100 range...

Am I correct in thinking that the new ones have fixed Rx aerials rather than BNCs, so can't be rack-mounted?

There are two versions now. The XSW-1 has internal aerials on the receiver, and would be no good inside a metal rack.

The XSW-2 has aerials on BNC and can be rack mounted in similar fashion to the Evolution systems.

Stuart,

Do you know if the XSW-2 receivers could be mixed and matched with EW series receivers fed from an ASA 1?

I have used EW100 and XSW-1 together in a rack before, but it'd be good if they could share aerial distribution? I'm guessing the sticking point will be if the XSW can handle or even use the DC supply on the BNC.

The reason for this is EW100 handheld doesn't have a mute button - something that house of worship customers quite like to have, so an XSW handheld is a reasonable substitution!

Simon

I've mixed and matched the original XSW on an ASA1 alongside EW series, so I don't see why the new ones would be any different. But I'm not sure about the DC supply - it might not be too good for the XS receivers in the long run. (I only put them together in a pinch for a few days at a show).

You make a very good point about the lack of a mute on the EW100. I have no idea why Sennheiser got rid of it. I've been caught out by it and had to buy the customer an EW300 out of my own pocket. :angry:

There are two versions now. The XSW-1 has internal aerials on the receiver, and would be no good inside a metal rack. The XSW-2 has aerials on BNC and can be rack mounted in similar fashion to the Evolution systems.

Not realising there was a XSW-2 version I've bought a couple of end-of-line originals just to get the BNC connections.

The G1 & G2 EW100 hand-helds have a (rather fiddly) mute switch - has it been dropped on the G3?

Archived