Strand Patt 223 1k to GY9.5 (743)

BenEdwards

True, but then the minim wasn't designed for 500W either ;-)

Indeed - at one time I had a small pile of Minims with 500W lamps & cracked lenses on the bench, which rather demonstrated the point :(.

Not being a user of 1200W lights I had totally forgotten that the T29 is a much bigger beasts. I've installed quite a few Starlettes over the years, but they all came with 1kW lamps & the leaflet in the boxes made no mention of needing to move the lamp-holder to fit a T29, though I see that it is mentioned in the Starlette brochure.

Depends on the age of the Starlette, the design changed several times, they wouldn't take a T29 before about 1989 or 1990 (at least that was the date for the Silhouette range of 1000/1200W profiles the 'Sil 3')

Just had a look at what is either a 223 conversion or a very early 743. The block under the lamp-holder is a very different size from the Don Allan post that Gerry links to, being (HxWxD) 24.5 x 24.5 x 44.5mm (approx. 1" x 1" x 1-3/4"). The only dimension that really matters is the height, but bearing in mind that the lamp filament is not exactly a point source even this isn't that critical.

Failed to get a link from Postimage that works, or to just drop an image here, so have Droboxed it instead.

https://www.dropbox....lamp-1.jpg?dl=0

Looks a bit more ocmplex than just a block. Are there any 3td parties selling P28->GY9.5 kits?

No, it's just a block of aluminium, screwed to the base-plate underneath, with a GX9.5 lamp-holder screwed on top & a ceramic connector screwed on the front. The ones made by Jim Laws have tapped holes, but you could just drill pilot holes & use self-tapping screws.

E2A: Just noticed this topic came up a few months ago -

http://www.blue-room...showtopic=69616

All you are doing is lifting the new lamp-holder so that the lamp filament is the same height as your P28 lamp, so you just need someone who likes playing with metal.

That photo reminds me of some Berkey Colortran fresnel lamp trays that we’ve got tucked away in a corner. After a quick google, I’ve discovered that the Berkeys were made in two versions : one for P28 lamps, and one for T19s. Ours used T19s, and had a box-section metal spacer underneath the lamp holder. If the OP doesn’t want to make their own spacers, I can see if I can remove the spacers from the lamp trays.

Archived