Crimp/solder pins for multi pin connectors

soundman57

I'd like to assemble some multi pin connectors and would like to hear from anyone with experience of doing this what the pitfalls are.

1. Crimp pins v soldered pins? Which type is more reliable?

2. If connectors from e.g. Ten47, VDM, SYNTAX & LK are all meant to be compatible as they're made to the same standard, are the pins interchangeable too?

3. New inserting pliers are about £40/pair - Is it worth paying this much for them or, will a good pair of needle nose pliers do the job?

4. The DMC AF8 crimping tool seems to be used by a few people - which is the correct turret to use for the crimp pins that suit multi pin connectors i.e. from the brands mentioned above?

Thanks!

Can only really speak for Harting/Han connectors as those are all I've made off other than circular 'MIL-C' types. If the pins are the correct size for the cross sectional area of the wire, the crimping force is right and the cable is properly supported into the connector housing, a crimped joint will not fail. However, pins coming free from their housing on modular connector is not uncommon after repeated use, which doesn't tend to happen with solder connectors as the pins are usually an integral part of the connector. The trade-off is that if a pin somewhere in the middle of a soldered connector fails, good luck getting the soldering iron in there if the pins are fixed!

Have used the DMC tool you speak of many a time and it works well. To be honest I've never used it with the proper turrets - you can still get good results even without them. All they really do is set the depth of the pin, but as many pins have an obvious shoulder where the crimping force needs to be applied, a quick visual check on the alignment before applying full force to the levers is all you need.

Crimps (subject to the conditions stated above) are indeed more reliable. However, I have made numerous EDAC multipins up using solder pins and not had any solder joint failures.

On EDAC at least, the proper insertion tool was a lot easier and caused virtually no damage, whilst slipping with the pliers invariably did. I also had the extraction tool which again was invaluable if repairs were needed.

I use the Daniels AF8 and AFM8 at work and they are very reliable. Essentially fool-proof if using the right turret. You can't get it wrong.

Soldering is something rather out of fashion on the aircraft I work on. Quality varies too much and trying to desolder the middle pin of 250 pins isn't trivial.

Note that the Daniels tools aren't the only ones as they are built to a standard specification. M22520/1-01 and /2-01 so you can buy from other companies too (Astro, Buchanan, etc.)

Finding the right turret for the Veam contacts can be challenging. They are not common. I know you can judge the length by "eye" but the whole point of the turret is to eliminate the chance of misjudging it.

Just to add my own experience, if you are using the smaller connectors (8-pair, 12-pair etc) then I always solder. They're easy enough to crimp (and can be quicker if you have a lot of connectors to do), but trying to insert the pins into the rubber housing can be difficult, even with the correct tools (don't try it with standard pliers). The pins are relatively long and you have to make sure you push quite hard, directly in-line, and any wobble off-centre means you can bend them.

Thanks for your helpful comments guys. I've just acquired a used DMC AF8 crimp tool in good condition via eBay so will look at purchasing some components and materials next.

The braided sleeving used for 'tails' - is this always known as Pliosil or are there other brands I could look at?

VDC sell it and presumably it's available from CPC & RS.

I'm also aware of suppliers such as Kelsey Acoustics & PennElcom but are there any other sources you can recommend?

And for a standard 3 pin xlr connection with +, - & earth/drain wires, what size of sleeving is required?

Cheers,

soundman57/Steve

Archived