Strobe Lighting

hairyswaff

Many thanks for the words of support and advice. I've been working here for 5 years and now my mission is complete (I'm graduating). At least I can say I've improved the place :rolleyes: .

I just hope they keep it up after I've gone.

Edit: Spoke too soon. It's gone (probably nicked). :)

Some figures to clear up misunderstandings:

1 in 200 people are epileptic

of these epileptics, only 3-5 % are photosensitive, which means flashing light can cause seizures.

...so if you have a 400 seat venue, you'll typically have 2 people with epilepsy in the audience, so odds are that you'll have someone with photosensitive epilepsy in the audience at least once a fortnight. Worth worrying about, I'd say.

hi guys,

what are your thoughts on this? I did a normal sunday morning church service in the style we do our youth events.. ie.. lights, set, band..etc as part of informing the church about the youthwork we do.. this included four el-cheapo scans which we had on for around 15min before the service on their own built in chases.. a lady came up to one of the crew and asked us to turn them off as she couldn't "handle them".. the guy said they'd be turned off in around 2-3 min when the service started.. in the end I think she actualy left.. a few days later we found out she was epileptic.. if she had said "I'm epileptic" or "I have a photosensitive condition" we would of turned them off instantly.. but she didn't..

my question is, should I have had signs up warning about the scans.. it was a well light room with 4 scans in.. thats it..

thanks

chris

a lady came up to one of the crew and asked us to turn them off as she couldn't "handle them".. the guy said they'd be turned off in around 2-3 min when the service started..  in the end I think she actualy left.. a few days later we found out she was epileptic..  if she had said "I'm epileptic" or "I have a photosensitive condition" we would of turned them off instantly.. but she didn't..

Are you comfortable discussing your medical condition with complete strangers?

fair point.. but how then do you distinguish between somebody just being awkward and somebody that has a genuie concern?

anyway the question was should I have displayed warning signs? the scans do "strobe" sometimes in their chase sequences.. but its like 3-4hz ish..

thanks

chris

Probably, always a good idea to mention any strobing before hand. And to have your house staff told to draw peoples attention to the fact that you will be strobing. That way you can honestly say you did everything posible to prevent damage.

fair point.. but how then do you distinguish between somebody just being awkward and somebody that has a genuie concern?

anyway the question was should I have displayed warning signs? the scans do "strobe" sometimes in their chase sequences.. but its like 3-4hz ish..

thanks

chris

Someone who's just being awkward could just as easily lie though.... :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, question.

After reading this I am still a bit confused. Are these requirments or suggestions about minimising the use of strobes?

If it is written into your entertainment licence then it is a requirement. Otherwise it is a 'suggestion', but if there was a problem and you had ignored the 'suggestions' then you would be in big trouble.

our events have specific requirements from the uni to display signs at all access points to the venue, for example the gig on thursday I have to have signs which say:

"Smoke, Strobe and Lasers will be used at this event"

however even if I wasnt required to I would anyway, for the cost (about £1 to get some made up and laminated?) its definately worth it

the recommendations I have are:

don't go faster than 12 flashes per second

don't use strobe for more than 40 seconds

there was an incident on campus (a gig we weren't working) where the muppet of a dj left the strobe on for about 90 seconds at high rate, and someone who wasn't photosensitive epileptic had a fit of sorts (the doctor checked them out after n they arent actually eplieptic) so keeping to the above regs is recommended!

the recommendations I have are:

don't go faster than 12 flashes per second

don't use strobe for more than 40 seconds

40 seconds of high-rate strobe is a bit pointless anyways. It'll lose it's impact pretty quickly. I have used strobes for a couple of minutes at a time before, but only when manually triggering at at most 2Hz or so - or rather, on every other beat.

Ok not sure if I've typed this before but I work in a nightclub/live venue so just for the punters safety and my own concious well-being, I have a permenant sign just outside the main entrance door to the main room surrounded by red LX tape saying:

ATTENTION, This establishment may be operating smoke, strobing or rapid moving light effects.

Ok so with a place like where I work in of course you will get all 3 most nights but it's the safest way forward. I think if you use strobes on stage for a long time say at least 20 seconds its always good to flash up a wash colour so that the strobing is broken up from being too constant and overpowering.

So far I have had no complaints from people so far as to how I have used scans, strobes, pars, bilnders and smoke - only comliments!

This is quite interesting. I am currently doing a show which does not feature a strobe, but a series of sharp flashes to resemble lightning. We have placed the "Flashing Lights" warmers on the venue, and obviously alerted Box Office.

Why? Because although probably not strictly necessary - I would much prefer that someone asked if they had any concerns, rather than be caught unawares.

The issue of before tickets is interesting, because a production may be on sale months before it even goes into rehearsal, let alone production. What are people's experience of this? I know the national theatre do a call after the first preview - but where would someone who was epileptic stand on getting a refund if it turned out they could not safely attend a production?

My complaint then is if people are going to concerts and clubs, they should know before that there will be moving, flashing, blinking lights and that they shouldn't go if they have a disorder that will effect them from the lighting...

CJ

My complaint then is if people are going to concerts and clubs, they should know before that there will be moving, flashing, blinking lights and that they shouldn't go if they have a disorder that will effect them from the lighting...

Why should people who have a condition, through no fault of their own, not be able to fully partake in events?

Archived