Lights constantly flashing

Joshblyth99

I agree this looks like a timing problem, as someone stated above the Enttec Openusb device uses the laptop to generate the timing, and Windows is notoriously bad about messing with the timing of hardware outputs. I would try it on a different computer or get the pro dongle which does the timing internally.

It's probably not CPU, there could be any number of windows things going on in the background as well which could cause this. Wiggling port lines with accurate timing is just not something you can do reliably from Windows.It would be interesting to put the DMX output on an oscilloscope - maybe visit your Physics dept with this setup?

True, but a more powerful CPU might be able to mask the effect.

But I agree, it's probably something else that's interrupting the data.We used to write data servers that talked to high speed serial lines under interrupt control on

486 machines running under a DOS extender, but of course they were only doing one job.

We have the exact same computers and they have the exact same hardware inside them, I have tried with another computer and t has had the same issue but the thing that is really confusing me is that it just stopped working on the weekend when I hadn’t even used my laptop

Does the QLC+ have the option to patch?

I have seen some smaller desks not outputting the full 512 channels (some only 7) which caused no end of flicker problems on some DMX "sensitive" equipment which needed the full frame to work.

Try patching a dummy channel onto DMX 512 if possible.

K

I have seen some smaller desks not outputting the full 512 channels (some only 7) which caused no end of flicker problems on some DMX "sensitive" equipment which needed the full frame to work.

K

QLC+ is a software controller running on Windows, Mac or Linux, not a hardware desk. It allows patching across any number of Universes.

K

QLC+ is a software controller running on Windows, Mac or Linux, not a hardware desk. It allows patching across any number of Universes.

Sorry, I may have not been clear.

Some DMX receivers need to see a complete DMX frame of 512 channels (or at least a high(ish) number of channels in the DMX frame). What I was trying to say was that I have seen some desks (eg showmaster48 + similar) only outputting a frame of 49 DMX channels. Some 6 way desks will only output a frame of 7 DMX channels. This low number of channels in a DMX frame proved to be the cause of flickering in my experience.

My understanding from the original request was that there were only 8 user channels patched (so assuming 8 DMX channels) so was wondering if the QLC+ was configured to only output a frame of only 8 or 9 DMX channels. Introducing a "dummy" channel patched to DMX channel 512 should ensure a complete frame of 512 channels is transmitted.

Hope this clarifies what I was originally trying to say.

K

Archived