Dummy load for 240v fairy lights

marklew productions

A friend has had some success with a plug-in air freshener as a dummy load in the past.

That's a bit of a surprise, I have never handled a plug in air freshener (personally I abhor the stench and horrible chemicals being deposited in my lungs). I had always assumed these things are very low power as they don't get warm, something in the order of a watt or two maximum.

A friend has had some success with a plug-in air freshener as a dummy load in the past.

That's a bit of a surprise, I have never handled a plug in air freshener (personally I abhor the stench and horrible chemicals being deposited in my lungs). I had always assumed these things are very low power as they don't get warm, something in the order of a watt or two maximum.

Typically about 2W. It's possiblke that the load may have been electronic or on the edge of operation if such a low resistance helped the dimmer latch.

AFAIK no dimmer manufacturer actually specifies the minimum current for reliable operation. Maybe it depends on the nature of load applied maybe it depends on the rated current of the dimmer. If it needs 100mA for a dimmer to run well then a 80ma load needs little help. Would a 5A dimmer need the same minimum load as a 20 or 50A dimmer channel?

My first try, if a load was too small for the dimmer to run well would be a 60w tungsten filament lamp.

My understanding of the bigger loads was that they were used to hide the inductive component of a very small load such as a mirror ball rotator which is about 2 - 3w rating but a frequent killer of dimmers

Our SLD rack is happy with a 40W lamp. The Act6 we sometimes haul out wants 100W. I tried it with 50W GU10 lamps on each channel and it wasn't happy at the very bottom end. Not entirely sure why.

It's a combination of two factors - the holding current of the thyristors or triacs, and the method used to trigger them. Higher current devices typically have a higher holding current so to answer Jivemaster's question above, Yes a big dimmer may well require a higher dummy load. At low levels the triac is being triggered at a point in the cycle where the load current is only ever going to be low and might not be sufficient to hold the device on so you end up with Alister's point that they work ok at higher levels but not really low levels. The same issue could theoretically occur at very high levels too as again the trigger is ocurring at a low current part of the cycle, however the triggerring method then comes into play - if you are only using a short trigger pulse then indeed the device might not switch on at all at high levels. Most theatrical dimmers don't suffer from this because they either provide a stream of trigger pulses or a continuous D.C. trigger.

Inductive loads introduce a whole new set of problems because the current and voltage are not in phase with each other!

But I've wittered on enough...

Dave

AFAIK no dimmer manufacturer actually specifies the minimum current for reliable operation. Maybe it depends on the nature of load applied maybe it depends on the rated current of the dimmer. If it needs 100mA for a dimmer to run well then a 80ma load needs little help. Would a 5A dimmer need the same minimum load as a 20 or 50A dimmer channel?

Just for reference in case it may be useful for others, Betapack 3 dimmers can allow for a minimum load per channel of 0.1A, and Alphapack 3s have a minimum load per channel of 0.2A.

Edward

Archived