Retro moving heads

Andyb75

Hi

The one thing that OP could do reasonably easily is split out the motor feed and the line side of the lamp transformer, assuming it's a bog-standard type and not some electronic nonsense, which I doubt considering the units age. Then you could dim them.

All the best

Timmeh.

I've got some and rewired them so the motor and lamps are "controllable" separately.

They are just transformer driven PAR36 lamps that can be dimmed.

Forget about syncing any movement of the lamp heads. They do their own thing when powered on.

Cheers

Gerry

That unit is how scanners were before moving mirror lamps and before stepper motor/driver sets. Accept it, or pay someone to take it away! PAR36 lamps were either 6 or 12 volts usually, so looking at your pictures I'd consider that the transformer could be 6v 24A or 24v 6A. Be very cautious about nasty burning smells when trying to dim old transformers -nasty personal experience. Dim them if you must by putting gel over the lamps (and watch it cook!).

Thanks for all the reply’s I will just use them as they are after taking onboard the advice here

Only problem I have is one of them keeps stopping but if you just nudge it it moves again how can I sort this ?

The scanners rely on the characteristic of synchronous motors that they reverse when they hit an obstruction. Sometimes the end limit they reverse on is just on the transition between magnetic poles in the motor and it stalls. Sometimes placing a rubber sleeve or pad on the end stop will prevent it stalling.

Sometimes a "mirror ball motor" from any disco shop will dismantle to yield a suitable motor, try the cheaper ones(!) the bigger more expensive ones also run much slower, 0.5 to 5 rpm is a typical of the fixed speeds available, 2 or 3 rpm is my idea of a good start.

Thanks Clive I’ll try adjusting that as you mention if I was going to change the motors I’d have to make sure they are the correct voltage they run at 20rpm at the moment about half that would be ideal will have to look out for some cheap motors if I decide to change them learning all the time I think this fixture is Great very simple compared to modern day movers !

Archived