PLASA lightning guidance

dsharp7th

I had a similar episode last summer where a gig was pulled on the basis of some distant thunder. There wasn't anything authoritative to refer to - googling on the day was turning up mainly American sources that aren't very relevant to our weather patterns.

So it's very welcome to have this guidance in place.

Hi

Not a bad paper but it is quite general in its scope, but much better than nothing.

There are websites out there which offer real-time detection and display of lightning strikes for most of the world, although it is better suited to the EU as that is where the majority of the detectors are based. The entire UK is covered with a high level of accuracy.

www.lightningmaps.org.

You can also try the UK's lightning detector network however the display updates every 15 minutes which may not be of much use to a storm moving at 30mph.

For those that can read weather charts, then this page is a fairly good indication of where and when storms are likely to form.

https://www.theweath...storm&model=gfs

Lighting detectors are available commercially and a big festival/event should have these deployed at monitoring stations some distance away from your protected area, quite often alongside sound measuring equipment.

All the best

Timmeh

Thanks - wish I had this on Friday when watching a lightning storm travel past us (didn't hear any thunder so well within limits!).

Same here in 1972 when one appeared un-forecast and I watched it approach from the stage from behind the audience who had no idea what was coming.

Yes it is a general guide but useful nonetheless

Archived