Church Sound Monitoring - Silent Stage

pisquee

I would also recommend the digital desk and musician control of an aux send via a phone or tablet app.

I feel that options 1 and 2 aren't really ideal... the MA400 doesn't feel that powerful and means more mains distribution everywhere. P16s etc. are good, but it's around £200 per musician (plus the distribution box if starting with analogue).

The X32 and X32c are pretty cheap now - and arguably the best value for money. Buying outboard isn't (IMP) cost effective now. It has poor resale value and does not really match up to the convenience and functionality of most digital desk's features.

Use of musician controlled foldback is also a good step forward... An increasing number of church music groups are using programmes such as OnSong for song words or sheet music display - so there's often a phone or iDevice available or in use.

Headphone amps such as the Tascam MH8 allow balanced input connection, 8 individual inputs plus the option of two general inputs and have good headroom/

Personal beltworn volume controls (such as the Behringer PM1) provide an easy way of allowing the musician some movement (as the control clips to their belt or pocket rather than having their earpiece ties to a static mini mixer).

If the hardware suggested above was used, you would have 8 monitor mixes for £500 plus the cables and a WiFi box. X32s are around £1600 and Compacts ~£1100.

I mean using the aux outs - you can control the aux sends and aux master volume using the M32-Q (or X32-Q) app for iOS or Android.

I would suggest not trying to use the aux outs for that as the routing is unnecessarily complicated for the less technically savvy users. You've got at least six mix outputs by default fed from the first six mix buses so they're already set up to do this. On the full size desks you have 14 if you're willing to compromise a little on the number of effects you use!

I would suggest not trying to use the aux outs for that as the routing is unnecessarily complicated for the less technically savvy users. You've got at least six mix outputs by default fed from the first six mix buses so they're already set up to do this. On the full size desks you have 14 if you're willing to compromise a little on the number of effects you use!

Ah - in my case too many years of using analogue versus only 20 or so on digital, means I still use the term "aux" for foldback sends, whether it's from an aux, a mix bus, an omni out or whatever... rolleyes.gif

But yes - on the X32, the OP could use (say) the first 8 mix bus for foldback...!

Ah - in my case too many years of using analogue versus only 20 or so on digital, means I still use the term "aux" for foldback sends, whether it's from an aux, a mix bus, an omni out or whatever... rolleyes.gif

But yes - on the X32, the OP could use (say) the first 8 mix bus for foldback...!

Ah, yes, ditto - was actually meaning the mix buses!