Confetti

Ramps

Hi,

I have a question/issue the venue I am in has a visiting company in. I have found out( no risk assessmentswere given) that it is domestic confetti both in hand held cannons and manually thrown which is not flame proofed. I have raised this issue and have been told that it is fine as long as we clear it up properly. I am not comfortable with this " risk assessment" and feel I am getting no back up on this . It is used at the end of the show while the rig is at full. Am I overreacting or not?

Hi,

I have a question/issue the venue I am in has a visiting company in. I have found out( no risk assessmentswere given) that it is domestic confetti both in hand held cannons and manually thrown which is not flame proofed. I have raised this issue and have been told that it is fine as long as we clear it up properly. I am not comfortable with this " risk assessment" and feel I am getting no back up on this . It is used at the end of the show while the rig is at full. Am I overreacting or not?

Who has told you that 'it will be ok'...?

If it was the visiting company then that's worth nothing in the grand scheme - if you (or whoever is the responsible authority for the venue if it's not you) say that it's NOT acceptable, then they, the visitors, will have to abide by that ruling.

However, if the venue manager is the one saying that it's OK, and they've looked at how the confetti is being used (and done their own dynamic RA) then you would have to step back.

If you're still unhappy with that situation then you have options - appeal to the venue management or if they remain unconcerned then you can walk away if you don't wish to be associated with something you feel is an unmitigated risk.

Thanks, that is kind of where we are, the venue are just passing it back and forth, the company are saying it isn,t aimed at lights so it should be fine as they have been doing it this way for a year, although they have now said they will "try" to source the flame proof items, I am gob smacked that a theatre company can work in such an amateur and dangerous way.. oh wait no I am not.

Hi,

Who has told you that 'it will be ok'...?

If it was the visiting company then that's worth nothing in the grand scheme - if you (or whoever is the responsible authority for the venue if it's not you) say that it's NOT acceptable, then they, the visitors, will have to abide by that ruling.

However, if the venue manager is the one saying that it's OK, and they've looked at how the confetti is being used (and done their own dynamic RA) then you would have to step back.

If you're still unhappy with that situation then you have options - appeal to the venue management or if they remain unconcerned then you can walk away if you don't wish to be associated with something you feel is an unmitigated risk.

Flame proofed hand fired confetti is REALLY easy to source, and the certs are readily available as well.

Test it, see if it sustains a flame, we all might be surprised, and testing is how the FR of something is checked, I've had to treat and submit drapes and samples for tests for things before. The supplier may not know - they may bulk buy the units and not think about it.

Otherwise personally I'd refuse to let them use it unless they can demonstrate with a test or a certificate that it is flame retardant. It's not just about it being pointed at the lights, it's also about accumulations of it gathering in corners and providing a readily available fuel in a place you wouldn't expect.

One Handheld Supplier that's flame retardant

Thanks Mike, I think we are sorted now but I find it hard to believe that no one has picked up on this in a year. What has to happen before people take these risks seriously, It hasn't happened in a year is a shocking justification.

Flame proofed hand fired confetti is REALLY easy to source, and the certs are readily available as well.

Test it, see if it sustains a flame, we all might be surprised, and testing is how the FR of something is checked, I've had to treat and submit drapes and samples for tests for things before. The supplier may not know - they may bulk buy the units and not think about it.

Otherwise personally I'd refuse to let them use it unless they can demonstrate with a test or a certificate that it is flame retardant. It's not just about it being pointed at the lights, it's also about accumulations of it gathering in corners and providing a readily available fuel in a place you wouldn't expect.

One Handheld Supplier that's flame retardant