How can I take sounds from PC through Phantom XLR connector

PaulL

6 hours ago, J Pearce said:

If it's wired as a transformer based output, across pins 2 and 3, and you're not using a jackfield - you should be fine. There are lots of 'converted' ribbon mics out there that were originally high impedance unbalanced, or on DIN/Tuschel connectors that haven't been converted to fully follow the now standard XLR wiring convention.

As far as I'm aware neither contained a transformer, the reslo was mounted on a mic stand with lead exiting the bottom, it had the standard 5 pin school - octal style - plug (C&S Systems?) and screened pair plus 2 cable and the Lustraphone has the small and flimsy 3 pin plug. We used them for a 50's revival night, along with a couple of AKG's and a Trix yellow cast iron dynamic on stands with original thumbscrew clamps rather than lock rings.

Alongside modern 58's & 8033's

On 3/7/2022 at 9:02 AM, J Pearce said:

48V into a headphone output is pretty reliable at killing the output.

I’ve seen multiple devices of various backgrounds lose audio output this way.

I purchased a Soundcraft SX as B stock  on Ebay which had most of the outputs damaged. I assumed that was the reason.

What ribbon microphone don't have a  transformer? The damage to ribbons is much more likely (not sure how common) with T-Powering

[quote] From the manual

Never plug the STC/Coles 4038 into T-Powered or Phantom Powered Mic Inputs.

T-Power will instantly destroy a ribbon (and also can hurt a dynamic mic).

Phantom power can do the same if you have a bad mic cable. It is best to play it safe by turning off the mic powering and waiting a minute. After this it is safe to plug in your ribbon mic. This will allow both of the mic preamps' input capacitors to discharge fully after you turn phantom powering off)[/quote]

This is from an American distributors version of the manual, and I don't think it featured in the original STC document. Interesting though. T

So I admit I haven't had either open and therefore don't know one way or the other if they contain a transformer. However when tested with a multimeter both showed a very low resistance across the balanced pair and totally isolated from the earth/screen connexion. Connecting phantom power to them seems to have had no effect and both performed just as expected.

I'm not in any way disputing others knowlegde or experience but I struggle to see why any damage should be caused, especially if there is an intervening transformer, by applying phantom power. This does of course assume correctly connected.

• 3 months later...

Follow up to this. I have 2 Lustraphone VR53, I recall Dad purschasing one and its matching Mu metal transformer and S5 stand,  (All still existing!) I'd have been about 5. Obsurdly I remember the figure of £18 being mentioned when he was talking to a friend although that will have meant absolutely nothing to me when I'd have been super happy to get 1d to buy sweets.

That microphone basically took over from the yellow cast iron Trix dynamic low-Z mic.

Somewhere along the line a second, similar, mic later joined our kit. The thing is I've always known the original Lustraphone mic in the grey box to be louder than  the later in the brown box but we only ever used them with the same transformer, that is 2 different transformers; one for our Linear Concord 30W EL34 valve amp (50-100K impedance?) or a different transformer into our little stereo Grundig transistorised mixer. Equally we used the same transformers for the yellow Trix mic.

Having 'dug out' disused kit recently; the grey box containing the 'loud' mic has the original paparwork which simply shows impedance as 20, 500 or 50,000 ohms. I know it's not 50K as IIRC they came with a captivated cable rather than a socket and having tried to run ours direcly into a Hi-Z input was a miserable fail. So the difference between them? removing the side panel of the mics one contains a transformer below the mic assembly, the other has an empty void.