Cheap pinspots

sunray

Yep, I know very cheap and probably nasty but; Does anyone have any experience of these 30W LED RGBW Pin Spot Light Stage Light DMX512 DJ Disco Party Spotlight-Beam UK | eBay 30W LED RGBW Pin Spot Light Stage Light DMX512 DJ Disco Party Spotlight-Beam UK - Picture 1 of 12

Looking for something very cheap to replace a dozen PAR36's with red, yellow, blue and green gel's (currently only 3 work) on mirror ball. for fairly short term use.

I have used something similar. My experiences are...

The beam of light is narrow with sharp edges. The beamwidth is fixed-ish (and not documented), so you may need to move the fixture to get the desired illuminated area. The 'spot' of light is reasonably uniform to the naked eye. There is a 'focus/zoom' adjustment that does not appear to do much. The spot of light has fringeing at the edges when using mixed colours (eg a Yellow spot will have some red and green fringeing) because the LED light sources are not all in exactly the same place inside the lamp. The fans are small and fast turning, so fan noise may be an issue in a quiet environment. The short power lead will probably be terminated in a non-UK plug. DMX control works, but documentation is usually unhelpful, so be prepared to do some exploring. They can also be set to go to a preset colour when turned on ('wake up' delay is 1-2 seconds in this mode).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pmiller056 said:

The beam of light is narrow with sharp edges. The beamwidth is fixed-ish (and not documented), so you may need to move the fixture to get the desired illuminated area. The 'spot' of light is reasonably uniform to the naked eye. There is a 'focus/zoom' adjustment that does not appear to do much. The spot of light has fringeing at the edges when using mixed colours (eg a Yellow spot will have some red and green fringeing) because the LED light sources are not all in exactly the same place inside the lamp. The fans are small and fast turning, so fan noise may be an issue in a quiet environment. The short power lead will probably be terminated in a non-UK plug. DMX control works, but documentation is usually unhelpful, so be prepared to do some exploring. They can also be set to go to a preset colour when turned on ('wake up' delay is 1-2 seconds in this mode).

I think that sounds like constructive criticism rather than a write off.

Maybe a fan change if too loud.

The plan is to go in a school hall to replace a dozen PAR 36 (4515?) 30W for their end of school dance  and several events during the holiday. Next year the hall is due for repurposing. They have DMX so aiming for a half decent fix on a limited budget while tower is up for relamping/cleaning.

I’d buy one only if I were you.

I have a few, used in an Art context. Very dim over anything over 5 metres. Might be better in a DBO - I don’t have a good black out.

I use them in a smaller than living room space in general

As said, esoteric button selection for colours on the back, simple sound to light works ok. Colour fringe is visible.  Several have died on me and at that price, after a fuse check (mine came with 13A plug) I just binned them.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irothwell said:

https://prolight.co.uk/product/ledj239

Best RGB Pinspot around 

The big issue is I have installed some LEDJ spots and know how correct you are and agree they are seem to be a good product. The aim is to get 3 spots up to replace the existing dozen failing PAR 36's. Sadly they are 3 times the price and the cost difference for what is expected to be a fairly short term permanent repair will probably (very likely) make it not happen.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, pmiller056 said:

Having weighed up the pros and cons we suggested 3 of OP fittings. The chat with 5 staff members resulted in their counter offer of 5. This is on the basis of the perceived unreliability and 3 still working as the end of school year.

I think the above sums them up quite well, we all agreed they give a better and brighter image than the 4515's. They came with 3 13A & 2 shuko plugs but mattered not as 5A sockets in place.

I'll try to come back in a year with outcome.