Dip Switch Calc

3guk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally usually do it in my head, although I find it can be quite hard to concentrate in a noisy environment. Although I did write a calculator for my PDA, primarily for fun, so if anyone has a Windows Mobile Pocket PC I can send you a copy.

For those of you looking for this, here is some more information.

Announcing DMX 512 Addresser for Pocket PC

Hopefully this will do what everyone wants, if not please ask as I can look at adding new features. Also if you have successfully tested it on other operating system versions please let me know.

DMX 512 Addresser

A small piece of software for Microsoft Pocket PC to convert dip switch settings to addresses and back again.

Tested on Pocket PC 2000.

Installation:

Just unzip this and copy across to your PDA, then create a shortcut to the launcher program in your start menu.

Get this software here: DMX 512 Addresser

To get it to work you will need the Embedded Visual Basic Runtimes for your version of Pocket PC. For those of you with Windows Mobile based devices, I think I may need to recompile it, so if you can get in contact with me I might be able to get it to work.

HTH

PN

• 11 months later...
Meh that's complicated, Modge. (or I'm not smart enough :) )

You are well smart enough, you've being doing it with base 10 all your life. You just need to hunker down and practice it in base 2.

I have this thing about heights (yeah, a lightist who'se afraid of heights, how random is that), so being 10 feet up a ladder is enough to make me really really uncomfortable, so calculating and setting dipswitches up a ladder is a real challenge for me, its not the math, its the doing math whilst trying to believe I'm not going to get seriously hurt any second now <_<

Its those blokes whp play darts I find really impressive. These guys are not generally noted for their educational achievments, yet I'm certain they can do the repeated subtractions necessary to calculate "five one two down" in a fraction of the time I can, and almost certainly with less mistakes!

...and now to find one that works with Symbian mobiles!

I find its easiest to use calculator on your phone and keep subtracting numbers until you reach zero, I think that is similar to what others have said...

Tom

Well the easiest way, I think, is to make up a spread sheet with all the fixtures, start address in decimal, then a binary version of it. Then there is no need for a dip switch calculator as it is all on the documentation you take in with you.

...and now to find one that works with Symbian mobiles!

I find its easiest to use calculator on your phone and keep subtracting numbers until you reach zero, I think that is similar to what others have said...

Tom

Hmmm, thats something I can try next, what langauges can symbian phones support ?? Can they support javascript and html ?

Hmmm, thats something I can try next, what langauges can symbian phones support ?? Can they support javascript and html ?

Im almost definite Symbian supports java...

Cant confess to being much of a programmer so not sure how easy it is to do :D

• 1 year later...

I've been looking for a simple printable table of DMS dip switch settings and this thread (found using the search function) seems the closest but not quite simple enough to "cut out and keep".

Does anyone have any updated links to a nice printable table?

I recall seeing one a long time ago but I'm darned if I can locate it now.

Cheers.....

Archived