Simulated fire effect

On 1/3/2024 at 9:29 PM, alistermorton said:

A small smoker combined with lighting could work

Fast dispersing fluid (sometimes sold as steam or 'co2' effect) makes the difference as you don't end up with a smog.

1 hour ago, themadhippy said:

wouldnt say 3amps  is that dangerous

Vape coils work by (essentially) shorting the battery through the coil to produce a lot of heat very quickly. It’s fine for a couple of seconds cycled at most once or twice per minute intermittently but any more than that causes catastrophic failure of the battery and or the melting of the coil. 

I’ve got a LOT of experience in this field - if you’ve seen a vape based smoke system in a prop in theatre in the last 5 years there’s something like a 1:3 chance its one of mine….

• Funny 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, alistermorton said:

That's the sort of effect we're looking to recreate ourselves, but for a smaller sum.

Put out appeals on social media, send an email to dimplex and retail outlets asking for sponsorship

21 minutes ago, alistermorton said:

It's an interesting idea. I'm not entirely sure how interested Dimplex would be in sponsoring a 10 night run at a ~200 seat amateur theatre, though. 

You won't know unless you reach out.

Is it just a fireplace you are trying to create? have you thought about a video on a monitor?

EDIT: So I've rechecked OP, could the grate be logs with lights under them with some sort of animation. The original 'real flame effect' electric fires were basically a light bulb and a rotating polished metal bent disc.

Edited by sunray

On 1/12/2024 at 12:52 PM, alistermorton said:

In the past we've done the lights under the logs effect, but for this I'm told they want the effect of the flames suddenly leaping from the grate.

The mister / fan / LED’s system I describe will give you exactly what you need - the “flames” will be effectively invisible until you turn the LED’s on and or you can ramp the fan power up (turn on a second fan for a few seconds) will make the visible flames suddenly get visibly much taller for a few seconds.