Allen & Heath CQ range

bruce

Hi Bruce, 

We bought one back in the autumn. (CQ12T)

You're more than welcome to pop up and have a play with it at some point if that'd be helpful. 

I've not used it much myself, but I'd figured it will be a decent option for small talking-head style gigs where having things like dynamics and variable HPF is handy, but it's hard to justify taking something like an X32 Compact or SQ5. 

My one gripe so far is that it's not desperately quick to navigate, compared to say the SQ series. But that's a limitation of the form factor more than anything. 

I suppose it's more equivalent to something like the QSC TouchMix rather than being a cut-down SQ or QU. I don't think I'd like to do a fast-paced band gig with one, but for small function bands, ceilidh bands, and solo acts doing their own sound, it's a very good option. 

One other variable is that the excellent MixingStation is available for the CQ, which opens up other control possibilities. My plan is to get ours mounted in a briefcase with a small router so that it can get running with iPad control with minimum faff. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to say "yes, delay on mains and the Aux outputs. That's what the spec says. 

Then I thought, I'll power the thing up and check.

And I couldn't find the setting! Took me a few mins to get there ...

I had sort of assumed that it would be on the "Processing > Output" pages - that' where you find the Parametric/Graphic, the auto-feedback processor, the EQ and limiter for each output channel. But the delay is on the "Config>Output" page - which is also where to set whether the output is pre or post fade etc.

The one awkward thing about using the aux outputs for delays is that if you want it to be a delayed replica of FOH, you'd need to set the aux channels to be post-fade, then set all the aux faders at 0dB. However, the main L/R fader will not impact that aux; you may want a single fader controlling your main levels and the delays. 

The unit at present does not have DCA groups, which would give you this functionality - it's one of the most requested features on the A&H forum. The other one that's regularly requested is mute groups. Both rumoured to be "in the pipeline for a future firmware release" - at present both can be implemented via MixingStation, but not with the A&H native tools.

First impressions of the unit are very positive, but not used it in a real world gig yet.

On 1/20/2024 at 6:03 PM, bruce said:

First impressions of the unit are very positive, but not used it in a real world gig yet.

Just started playing with mine....

It took a few minutes of "what the heck is this simplified functions for audio dummies" and thinking I'd got a Fisher-Price toy before realising I'd clicked on easy setup and it was possible to change to a sensible set of full user controls.

I agree about the need to learn where stuff is - although it tends to follow the logic used in SQ/Avantis/dLive.

I like the fact that you can tap just about any function on screen and control it with one or more control knobs, or the so fader movement doesn't have to rely on sliding a finger on a screen.  

The external PSU has an annoyingly stiff and cheap feeling cable, but I'd guess a spare/replacement one wouldn't be hard to source.

Although not overly endowed with controls, it does do what I want - provide a simple to use, tactile digital desk that I can leave in the hands of semi trained users. The "faders only" page is useful in this regard. It has enough processing 'umph' to give the sort of eq and dynamics control you'd expect from a larger desk, and enough physical control to get around the "control tablet has lost connection" syndrome or the "someone's walked off with the iPad" palaver.

Granted, it would have been wonderful to have an interface that allowed connection to A&H stageboxes (a bit like the two flavours of Yamaha's DM3 - with or without Dante) but I guess that adds considerable cost, needs more back panel space, and potentially undermine sales of higher models.

Overall, it's looking good. I'll try popping it on a couple of powered speakers and putting some musicians through the system to see how it handles a proper live environment.