ANOTHER delay to opening of new arena in Manchester.

Posted (edited)

Apparently a piece of HVAC fell from the ceiling. One report describes them as 'nozzles', for the rest of us I think they mean the grill that goes on the end of the duct work that takes air in or out. Commonly seen as a louvered panel on ceiling tile grids.

Not especially heavy, but square and pointy, could cause serious injury or even fatal from that height.

It's bad. Very bad. If one has dropped, all need to be checked and there's likely 100's of them..... not to mention do you check ALL suspended parts of the HVAC system in case of human error or shoddy equipment? They are blaming 'factory error' for the one that fell. 

Edited by sleah

"One person who was working at the venue at the time told the M.E.N. that he witnessed what looked like a "steel bar fall from the ceiling into the bowl" at about 5.30pm." (Manchester evening news). I thought that sounded like an offcut of unistrut that had been left on top of a duct or something like that, I guess we will probably never know but you're right, they will have to check the whole installation now.

I would think the Co-op are seriously regretting their sponsorship of this venue, it's the ultimate in negative publicity...

1 hour ago, timsabre said:

"One person who was working at the venue at the time told the M.E.N. that he witnessed what looked like a "steel bar fall from the ceiling into the bowl" at about 5.30pm." (Manchester evening news). I thought that sounded like an offcut of unistrut that had been left on top of a duct or something like that, I guess we will probably never know but you're right, they will have to check the whole installation now.

I would think the Co-op are seriously regretting their sponsorship of this venue, it's the ultimate in negative publicity...

If it is a length of unistrut, I've regularly seen M6 or M8 studding drop rods with only square washer and plain nut holding a unitrut to support ducting. the theory being when the weight of the duct is installed then the nuts are adjusted for level and a locknut added. The second stage all too often seems to be forgotten.

Of course if it is Unistrut that has fallen it could easily be a piece missed (or incorrectly installed) by any of the other contractors; Ceilings, Electricians, Plumbers, Sprinklers etc in no order other than alphabetical.

15 hours ago, sunray said:

Judging by the unfinished state of the building any trade could have left something undone.

My thought exactly.  Thats just what buildings about a week or two from being finished look like.  It's not particularly egregious, it's just not done yet.

Miss J8 has to deal with this stuff all the time as a supplier. It's always the same - hyper-optimistic unrealistic completion dates, poor project management and continual changes of mind on details. In the end it's always hopeless optimism....

13 hours ago, Junior8 said:

Miss J8 has to deal with this stuff all the time as a supplier. It's always the same - hyper-optimistic unrealistic completion dates, poor project management and continual changes of mind on details. In the end it's always hopeless optimism....

I found that the contractor builds it in. They won the job by coming in at a price that they knew they couldn't actually meet, so they run the job late and then make up the cash in the extra fees for the late running of the job. And they get away with it because you can't open and start making money until you've signed the acceptance on all their work.

It's an impossible one for venues I think. Very few places have actually got the financial backing to remain construction sites indefinitely until everything is finished. You have to do a soft opening because it's the only way to kick the GC into actually doing some work with any sort of time concern.