I Beam attachment options

On 6/30/2024 at 4:48 PM, Dave m said:

include a vertical leg of 48mm scaff?

so the weight is floor supported and the I beam just holds it up?

Similarly, I wonder if clamping trusses onto the vertical girders would work? More expensive than some of the other arrangements discussed above, but would be a feature in and of themselves, if that fits with the over aesthetic...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2024 at 1:15 AM, dje said:

Why not? Friction is fine if there's enough of it. Some of the high friction beam clamps from Lindapter (depending on type and size) will be absolutely fine for what you need.

Apologies, I meant more to do with the rating and testing than actual suitability for use. I'd use gravlocks in the vertical plane for light loads - and also according to this rather dated spec sheet Gravlocks appear to be rated for slip vertical use anyway.

7 hours ago, TomHoward said:

Apologies, I meant more to do with the rating and testing than actual suitability for use. I'd use gravlocks in the vertical plane for light loads - and also according to this rather dated spec sheet Gravlocks appear to be rated for slip vertical use anyway.

That's an interesting document, I wonder if it's still valid?

I'd have never dreamt of loading a pair to one ton on a vertical beam, for that matter nor on a horizontal beam.

3 hours ago, sunray said:

That's an interesting document, I wonder if it's still valid?

I'd have never dreamt of loading a pair to one ton on a vertical beam, for that matter nor on a horizontal beam.

I suspect it may have been valid for the clamps produced in 1996 by the original designer/manufacturer, but possibly not whatever random Chinesium efforts are showing up on a Google search today...

17 minutes ago, Stuart91 said:

I suspect it may have been valid for the clamps produced in 1996 by the original designer/manufacturer, but possibly not whatever random Chinesium efforts are showing up on a Google search today...

Oh dear... I suddenly realise the handful I have predate that by at least 10 years

13 hours ago, sunray said:

Ah but most of the down force is normally converted into turning moment so the bracket acts as a cantilever. It isn't simple friction and can be seen everywhere such as bike racks on cars held by very flimsy fixings but relying mostly on the weight of the rack and bike to stay put. I have a handle on my grill pan that has no fixing at all and just relies on that cantilever action and I climbed poles with a belt reliant 90% on friction. I used to know the formulae but you young 'uns can Google as well as me. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kerry davies said:

Ah but most of the down force is normally converted into turning moment...

That is true but the turning moment on a gravlock is fairly minimal and the bearing surfaces are small, one side being a single point contact and the other a small smooth.

To confirm this is my opinion and my application of significant loads on gravlocks his not significant. A short bar to support a couple of profiles or a loudspeaker or a drape is typical and my kit is generally lighterweight compared to most applications by people on here.

Edited by sunray