VHF radio mics

sunray

I've noticed a number of portable PA systems recently inclucing VHF mics in the 175 - 215MHz range and 2 now describe them as license free, I've seen QTX similarly listed and this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115793260326?epid=22048189920&itmmeta=01J04ZFTA6HNRYK49EWS6S2093&hash=item1af5d0ef26:g:JNEAAOSwIy5kUsR1&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4F3ELSoT4Q4kYtYZCrthk7RNxiw5rIw19JenBE6bdzLp8BBgrrj0j%2BxPf3UsWc9qhTjqHRA2jVS6Lznd08p3kzzkxHcgw1L2GOJ18QriotB5by%2FMzSmoQ9%2Fz9gIciWIUbYkwsu0RMbPxxW0oAg8WsJ0ZgCTqX%2FQTOjv842A%2BPGsJKXrF1WETIEVGj1WKeY659MXc232VqGeBq4D9v10kyAj3rBqfRSm%2FCddjbXBMOF4xFMBycirXMKrIKsc6kcq5HQ6JT5JC8clC%2F16E3Sz1bCZp0XaAcY7WpQAkUG8PdBVO|tkp%3ABFBMnKW_n4Fk&edge=0 describes image.png.d5dc000336553bfb2d87770b3ec97a58.png

It would be handy as I have several bits of kit working up there.

I've looked on-line several times but only find the usual 173.8-175MHz listed as license exempt but most of the info I've found is based on the 2005 listings (and don't mention CH65) does anyone have anything further on this?

Edited by sunray

dont say its license free,just its regulation free ,what country its regulation free also aint mentioned,it could be perfectly fine  in outer mongolia.Ofcom still only lists the old 173-175  for the uk.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/pmse/pmse-technical-info/mics-monitors

Edited by themadhippy

Yep I'd seen that page and tried to follow the links which took me to JFMG which of course is long since defunct and now several phone calls to 3 different departments has come up with 3 different answers...

• 2 weeks later...

"regulation free" seems to be a nice way of saying "not regulated", to the best of my knowledge the VHF mic band above the 173-175 free to use bit is available to licence on various spot frequencies location dependent. I still have few bits of VHF micron kit that I occasionally use as an audio link, and would licence as and when required. One of the kits ( 216MHz rings s bell but don't quote me) is now not licensable. I very much doubt the QTX stuff is legal to use as is.

7 hours ago, csg said:

"regulation free" seems to be a nice way of saying "not regulated", to the best of my knowledge the VHF mic band above the 173-175 free to use bit is available to licence on various spot frequencies location dependent. I still have few bits of VHF micron kit that I occasionally use as an audio link, and would licence as and when required. One of the kits ( 216MHz rings s bell but don't quote me) is now not licensable. I very much doubt the QTX stuff is legal to use as is.

Historically I have done much the same, 189, 192, 199 & 203MHz which I used to pay a very modest amount on 48hr bookings. I'd often book an additional frequency or two if I hadn't reached the minimum payment of £28.

I know some of the mic channels have been lost to DAB, I think above about 208MHz

The bit I'm struggling with is getting up to date info regarding booking.

4 hours ago, J Pearce said:

Make an account at PMSE, then book frequencies and pay by card. Pretty straightforward.

That's all in hand, it automatically changed from JFMG

However on PMSE it is also possible to pay for a license for 174-174 and 863-865.... I have to ask why would anyone want to do either of those?

863-865 may be about transmit power. The licence free bands are only licence free at 10mW power (VHF also allows 50mW for body worn packs). You can probably licence the band at a higher transmit power.

7 hours ago, J Pearce said:

863-865 may be about transmit power. The licence free bands are only licence free at 10mW power (VHF also allows 50mW for body worn packs). You can probably licence the band at a higher transmit power.

That's a possibility, I'll have another look