Small DMX led fixture to replace LNB on satellite dish

James Remo

Hi all

I'm looking for a small, cheap, DMX led fixture, to fit to some old satellite dishes in place of the LNB, to highlight them as part of a set dressing. I've got a couple of chauvet colourdash accent quads that would work well, however I'm looking for something cheaper - I need 11 units and budget is tight. Can anyone recommend a small, DMX controllable fixture that is budget friendly? I have had a good search however I'm not coming up with anything that fits the brief. Any recommendations?

5 hours ago, James Remo said:

Hi all

I'm looking for a small, cheap, DMX led fixture, to fit to some old satellite dishes in place of the LNB, to highlight them as part of a set dressing. I've got a couple of chauvet colourdash accent quads that would work well, however I'm looking for something cheaper - I need 11 units and budget is tight. Can anyone recommend a small, DMX controllable fixture that is budget friendly? I have had a good search however I'm not coming up with anything that fits the brief. Any recommendations?

Do they have to be multicolour?

MR16 sized bulbs would appear to suit the design if only single colour.

Short lengths of LED tape? (Not pixel tape)

While it's not particularly bright, likely to be enough for accent light.

The tape's cheap enough to be consumable and many-channel DMX Constant Voltage drivers are available for very little money.

Multicolour essential. LED tape, whilst cheap, I don’t think will be bright enough, and the surface area of an LNB lends itself to a single point source. 

The LEDJ event spot has been suggested which is a similar form to the Chauvet unit, whilst being half the price. 

There are cheaper led pin spot options however the beam angle may be too tight. 20 to 40 degree would be better 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, James Remo said:

Multicolour essential. LED tape, whilst cheap, I don’t think will be bright enough, and the surface area of an LNB lends itself to a single point source. 

The LEDJ event spot has been suggested which is a similar form to the Chauvet unit, whilst being half the price. 

There are cheaper led pin spot options however the beam angle may be too tight. 20 to 40 degree would be better 

My feeling is they may be quite big for the situation.

A 5 or 10W cob mounted on a heatsink and a condenser lens should be fairly easy to make look like an LNB and a remote DMX controller/driver & psu.

Edited by sunray

2 hours ago, James Remo said:

The Event Spot comes with a a couple of diffusion filters, 10 and 45 degree. The 45 degree version might be best in this application.