Active speakers in the rain

TomHoward

On outdoor events , sometimes our speakers get a little showered on. It used to be with SX300s or whatever you’d just plough on, but they’re all active these days. Specifically we have EV ZLX12P, many of, which sometimes get showered on. Is there a product or rain cover anyone uses or a manufacturer of cases/covers to cover the back electronics etc from smaller showers? Or umbrellas on the stands etc ?

Be aware of cooling requirements if covering the amp module on active speakers - many have fans or heatsinks that require airflow.
A bin bag probably passes sufficient heat, a big padded cover might insulate too well.

Given that outdoor events tend to get postponed/cancelled by heavy/steady rainfall it might be seen as gilding the lily to buy costly covers when binbags are quick, lightweight, collapsible and disposable items so I voted for refuse sacks especially as working for councils they seemed to have endless supplies of them for some reason. 

We did have our Lucas sub blow up in rain one day but it was under a stage with a cover and nobody foresaw the mini tsunami that came down the hill, flooded the understage and resulted in an inch or more of water entering the vent.

Edited by kerry davies
E2A

13 hours ago, J Pearce said:

Be aware of cooling requirements if covering the amp module on active speakers - many have fans or heatsinks that require airflow.
A bin bag probably passes sufficient heat, a big padded cover might insulate too well.

A thin poly bag didn't do it for a QR12K.

Symptoms:

After 20 minutes of being covered it didn't quite sound right... "Must be the bag distorting it."

It sounded a bit quiet... "Just turn it up a bit more."... and a bit more, and a bit more...

"That really doesn't sound right."

Stopped working, rear was absolutely untouchable... I don't recall if fan assisted.

Edited by sunray

I agree with the bin bags but some of these events can be unattended or we're returning later to get them.

The hot covers were a custom order I presume with a mesh front - was the price about the same as the standard cover on the web site? I'll give them a call Monday.

I'm assuming I'll need a bit of slack in the back as I'll have to get the covers on for covering connectors anyway - which is on the same face as the vents.

1 hour ago, TomHoward said:

The hot covers were a custom order I presume with a mesh front - was the price about the same as the standard cover on the web site? I'll give them a call Monday.

Yes, it's not a standard item in their range (yet). We've got the advantage of having them relatively close to us so we're able to have a chat about it in person. 

1 hour ago, TomHoward said:

I'm assuming I'll need a bit of slack in the back as I'll have to get the covers on for covering connectors anyway - which is on the same face as the vents.

The way ours are done there's a velcro flat on the back, this can be adjusted to give enough clearance for connectors and cabling. It's probably not 100% waterproof against driving rain, but miles better than having nothing at all. 

• Upvote 1