Philips Strand 200+ doesnt work

goldenboy

I found a Philips Strand 200 + light table lying around in an abandoned cultural space in Brazil, I was assigned to learn it so I could carry out operations in another theater space. However, I can't make it work. The table has a 5-pin and 3-pin output, I use the three-pin one. I connected it to a PARLED using a DMX cable. In the default mode of DMX inputs (1-to-1) I cannot control the PARLED, although the PARLED recognizes and shows that it is "talking" to the table.

I've already tried to configure the addresses on the channels using Patch DMX and nothing. I continued reading the manual but nothing I tried worked, plus there was nothing on the internet that taught me how to work it. I was trying to put it in manufacturer mode, but it still didn't work. I also tried connecting directly to the dimmer and I couldn't even control a damn PAR. Today was different, when I defaulted the DMX Patch, some PARLEDs that were connected to the dimmer started to blink randomly for a few seconds, but nothing with the others.

HELP!

If you want to a pic of The light box, I Will post 

Hi. The manual for a 200 is here and according to that the 3 pin XLR is not a DMX connector, so maybe there's your first problem, it's an audio input. You need to use the 5 pin XLR to connect to your lighting system. Of course if yours is a later model that may not be true, but usually DMX is 5 pin on anything other than DJ consoles.

Edit: I found a 200+ manual here and that makes no mention of a 3 pin XLR?

Edited by alistermorton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alistermorton said:

Hi. The manual for a 200 is here and according to that the 3 pin XLR is not a DMX connector,

I confess that caught me out too as it was the only piece of kit I had with only 5 pin for DMX.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alistermorton said:

Edit: I found a 200+ manual here and that makes no mention of a 3 pin XLR?

Looking at the back panel it is stamped out for 4 XLRs, so maybe originally had Audio In (& maybe also Audio Thru or 12v for a light)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Below are some photos of the Lighting box. As you can see, friends, there is a female XLR next to the DMX out of the table. Here in Brazil it is common to use the 3-pin ones, instead of the 5-pin ones. Is it the same with you?

What I didn't understand was that, how can it be an audio input if the table doesn't play music, does it make sense to have this input then?

I also looked for the audio thru function in the Lighting box manual and there was nothing there. Could this light you are talking about be used to illuminate the table?

Edit 1: I'll be traveling at the weekend, I'll be back on Monday, I'll bring several videos to the table. Mac I believe I will have to buy the adapter.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fUyw77lSgVU773j5yBdRFG9AlAyPAgeZ

Edited by goldenboy
Texto Translation

I can't get to the google drive to look at the photo's, unfortunately. The page says I need to request permission.

Audio in is used on some desks to run effects (sequences) in time to the beat of the music. 

3-pin XLR for DMX is not uncommon, especially on DJ and low end fixtures, as the connectors are both more robust and cheaper. Most professional gear still adheres to the 5-pin connector mandated in the standard. Some have both. If you have fixtures with 3-pin XLR it may be that a 5pin to 3 pin adapter will be needed, unless the desk has had a 3-pin out added. I don't see any mention in either of the manuals I found of 3-pin out for DMX being fitted as standard. Maybe I've missed something.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sandall said:

Looking at the back panel it is stamped out for 4 XLRs, so maybe originally had Audio In (& maybe also Audio Thru or 12v for a light)

Yes, I saw that. I also wondered if the panel was generic, and used on other products too.

It would be useful if @goldenboy could identify which (if either) of the manuals I found match the desk in question, or whether it is different again.

Edited by alistermorton
  • Like 1

Guys, I released the drive with the photos. I did this early in the morning after an intense day and ended up forgetting hahaha. You can check, the table in the manual matches the table I have.

Here is a clip of the releavent bit for anyone who can't access drive. I make no claims of being an expert but given that it's front mounted, not back mounted and unlabelled I'd I'd guess this a modification not by the manufacturer. 

image.thumb.png.70b83310586089b588e012b24a678aaf.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kalmatthew said:

Here is a clip of the releavent bit for anyone who can't access drive. I make no claims of being an expert but given that it's front mounted, not back mounted and unlabelled I'd I'd guess this a modification not by the manufacturer. 

image.thumb.png.70b83310586089b588e012b24a678aaf.png

In fact, I believe someone may have put this to use as an adapter, I'm not sure about that or the history of the table. I wanted to make sure that if it was something related to the device and not a configuration, I would have to make the decision to buy an adapter, or even have to open a lighting box to check if the DMX output is damaged.

2 hours ago, alistermorton said:

Indeed, or even how it is wired. The polarity matters.

Exactly. It could be DMX (possibly reversed to accomodat Martin products?), it cound be 12V for a light, it could be a remote input (say for a blackout or remote trigger) piggy backed to any of the front panel buttons (I came across one of those on a fader to remotely switch house lights), it could be an output (say to trigger pyro, smoke).

Lifting the top off and a pic or 2 of the modification may give a clue. I haven't opend a strand desk but other of a similar format are usually a row of screws along the front and rear panels but I don't see those in you pics.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

🤗🫡

I really liked your feedback, and I really appreciate it.

I'm traveling at the moment, I'll give more details, photos and videos on Monday, but I believe I'll have to open the table, check the outputs or buy an adapter and see what happens.

Until now, I thank you all!!!

Edited by goldenboy
Thanks Complementation
  • Thanks 1

Open the console and find out what it is before plugging anything else into it!

If it's a desk lamp socket (commonly on 3-pin XLR) then it is fairly likely to damage a 'DMX' light.

• Upvote 1