Philips Strand 200+ doesnt work

goldenboy

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Open the console and find out what it is before plugging anything else into it!

If it's a desk lamp socket (commonly on 3-pin XLR) then it is fairly likely to damage a 'DMX' light.

That surprises me, can RS485 not cope with 12V?

• Like 1

EIA/TIA485 minimum rating is -7VDC to +12VDC common mode.

A lot of chips have an absolute maximum rating of -8V to +12.5V - even the 'tough' ones are generally -9 to +14V (though they'll take much larger transients)
So 12VDC 'the wrong way around' almost always exceeds the absolute maximum rating - and of course a lot of "12VDC nominal" supplies are closer to 13VDC.

It's certainly possible for a manufacturer to protect against this (and some do), but a 3-pin "DMX" receiver is really unlikely to have bothered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

EIA/TIA485 minimum rating is -7VDC to +12VDC common mode.

A lot of chips have an absolute maximum rating of -8V to +12.5V - even the 'tough' ones are generally -9 to +14V (though they'll take much larger transients)
So 12VDC 'the wrong way around' almost always exceeds the absolute maximum rating - and of course a lot of "12VDC nominal" supplies are closer to 13VDC.

It's certainly possible for a manufacturer to protect against this (and some do), but a 3-pin "DMX" receiver is really unlikely to have bothered.

I find that quite surprising and would have expected to hear of more failures.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear..  I tested many times using a DMX cable on a PARLED (LED) with this DMX output to see if I could make it work (and so on, this whole story I already told you), did it damage it?   When I tested using the dimmer, to mediate communication, some moving lights moved and turned on random lights for a few moments, in addition to some LEDs also turning on.  I'm afraid I may have damaged some equipment.

Edited by goldenboy

The fact they randomly moved implies it probably is a DMX line, just with the console configured differently to how the rig is actually set up.

So you're likely ok, just check before connecting anything again.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...