Stage floor levelling - options?

Ynot

35 minutes ago, Dave m said:

We aren’t allowed to do any structural work that isn’t fire resistant.

we could make stuff out of normal MDF, but if it is screwed down/up then it needs to be resistant.

I suspect then that there's maybe a bit of jobsworth attitude in your venue then.

Have you tried to set fire to MDF, it's very resistant to catching fire, and tends to burn and smoulder. Probably the chemicals like formaldehyde. If your H&S people are not specifically trained, they see wood. wood = fire. MDF would (in my book anyway) be rated as low fire hazard, but new MDF needs time for outgassing in an enclosed space. The stuff has a very nasty smell in a small room. In my experience, the usual cheap pine used for flat frames is much easier to set on fire than mdf. I work on a pier, and frequently bits of it catch fire from discarded cigarettes. When it does, a bucket of water is far more effective putting it out than any extinguisher. If this amount of wood, exposed to the sun, so hot and dry is safe, I think MDF is way down the list.

On 8/12/2024 at 8:56 PM, Dave m said:

We aren’t allowed to do any structural work that isn’t fire resistant.

we could make stuff out of normal MDF, but if it is screwed down/up then it needs to be resistant.

I use offcuts of MDF to protect the building fabric when soldering copper pipes but wouldn't dream of using timber OSB or ply