BeamZ clamps.

5 hours ago, ekul1978 said:

Anyone got any experience with these? 

https://stageconcepts.co.uk/product/beamz-bsc50b-self-lock-lighting-clamp-50kg-black/

thinking of replacing our older g clamps with some. Only thinking of fresnels/profiles etc. 

thanls. 

My only negative point is they can be tricky if space is tight beside the bar, some of the people I work with use them exclusively others don't like them. Not Marmite though, I and others sit on the fence.

OOdles better than half couplers for lanterns.

Edited by sunray
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah. I posted it on a Facebook forum And got massively shot down saying am I ok with law suits etc when fixtures fall etc. we are getting new lighting bars powder coated back and didn’t want to ruin them with the old G clamps with screw fixings. Wanted something a little less damaging. Need maybe 30+ of them and don’t have an infinate amount left in the budget I’ve been given. 

Edited by ekul1978

They're not top-end doughty clamps, but equally you're not daily-touring them or using them on massively heavy units.
You're buying them from a registered UK company, not a dodgy ebay importer - so in the unlikely event of a lawsuit would have some defence back to the supplier.
Be aware of over-tightening, as this can cause cracks in the upper portion of the clamp or the riveted pins to fail (but you'd no doubt spot the beginnings in your periodic inspection of rigging accessories) - no wingnut spanners on these.

If you wanted a half-way point between the cheap stuff and Doughty stuff, the Global Truss bits are pretty good.

Avoid Doughty's Twenty Clamp - horrid things. They're ok-ish brand new, but over time they crack, they don't tighten properly, they chew up the bar, they're not rated for vertical rigging - just harbingers of doom and misery. They don't really offer anything a much cheaper hookclamp doesn't.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Have looked at the global truss stuff. Thomann seems to be the cheapest I can find them. I guess I can ask if work could stretch the budget to go with these. 🤷‍♂️

FWIW admiral I would count as middle between global and doughty, they have tonnes of stuff and, at least here are hitting a "quality" budget end.  IIR they are also coming out with RAL colours soon, you know for all those times you need a red clamp

I had to google for Twenty clamp. Only encountered one problem... when I picked the lantern up off the floor. the clamp had cracked through the safety fixing hole. Its owner reckoned it was the first to have any problem out of many of them.

I'd been lumping them into the same style/category as OP.

Edited by sunray

5 hours ago, alistermorton said:

I thought the question looked familiar. I remember the pile-on. 

Yeah. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone had any positive experiences or just the same as Facebook.