Tips for a Beginner Backstage Worker - Emmanuel Katto Uganda

emmanuelkatto

Hello everyone!

My name is Emmanuel Katto. I’m new to the world of backstage work and eager to dive in, but I’m unsure where to start. What are some essential skills or knowledge areas that a beginner should focus on? Are there any particular resources or training programs you would recommend to help me get started?

I appreciate any insights or advice you can share!

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Emmanuel Katto

Are you thinking of theatre or live events?

I'm not sure if it works the same in Uganda as in UK, but here in UK getting started is not really about training or skills, it's about knowing the right people and having the right attitude. Find a company who is doing the type of thing you want to do and ask if you can be temporary crew for setting up etc, be honest about your current knowledge or lack of it. Then watch and learn, and be a good person to work with. I'd rather have an inexperienced person who is great to work with, than an obnoxious know it all.

Sometimes going on training courses can be useful to get to know some people who might give you work, but equally you can spend a lot of money on courses and not really get much benefit in terms of actual event work.

4 hours ago, timsabre said:

Are you thinking of theatre or live events?

I'm not sure if it works the same in Uganda as in UK, but here in UK getting started is not really about training or skills, it's about knowing the right people and having the right attitude. Find a company who is doing the type of thing you want to do and ask if you can be temporary crew for setting up etc, be honest about your current knowledge or lack of it. Then watch and learn, and be a good person to work with. I'd rather have an inexperienced person who is great to work with, than an obnoxious know it all.

Sometimes going on training courses can be useful to get to know some people who might give you work, but equally you can spend a lot of money on courses and not really get much benefit in terms of actual event work.

I was asked the same question years back. He would have been about 15-16 at the time, I suggested he spent a day with me assisting running a pair of sound stages and Outside Broadcast to Hospital Radio at the town festival, poor lad didn't know what hit him but he learnt what goes on setting up and removing sound and lights, what an XLR is and how to assist getting a band and kit off and a new one on every 50 minutes, how to make tea and see to the band members drink requirements. Miraculasly he asked for a rubbish bag for the discarded cans and paper cups etc as we were removing the tech kit. The following day I made him fit some new plugs  on damaged mains cables and taught him some knots (something he really struggled with). I then pointed him towards a decent AmDram (one that happens to have a bankbalance and luckily not too far from where he lived) and told him to introduce himself in person at a meeting rather than on paper and if appropriate explain what he did at the festival. The bit I didn't expect was his interest in set design and build. He has ended up is radio studio build and some presenting including OB work but mostly the sound and computer side of things.

In a nutshell: introduce yourself and make yourself useful, as Tim says a person good to work with and useful is the way to go, be prepared to make drinks and sweep the floor (that is exactly how ALL hairdressers start and replenishing shampoo and towels etc then gradually washing the hair) Does it sound boring or menial? Yes it does but all of it needs to be done and bit by bit you get to do more until suddenly you realise someone else is doing most of those things. The number of 'good stagehands' across the world is vast, the number of 'good stagehands with qualifications' is a small part of that.

When you are young, it's all about status and money. For the people who give out the work, it's about getting a job done. I would prefer somebody green who is enthusiastic and wants to learn. If you are honest and tell them you are keen to learn, always reliable, easy to get on with and know a little about the complicated stuff - I'd probably use you rather than another unknown who at say 17 or 18 tells me they are an MA expert and has extensive experience. 

My trick developed over the years is to watch people as the truck doors open and the ramps go down. Piles of flightcases come down for a push into the venue. I watch the newcomers. Some walking back from the last one just grab the next one down and take it away, others time their arrival to get the small or lighter ones. Having had a dodgy back for years, you can also spot people doing what I do - take the heavier flightcase with a monitor on it rather than a lower one that need you to push back bent. 

I've never been good at rules. One heavy get-in, we were struggling time wise. A young lad had been watching us avidly. Probably 16. I asked him if he wanted to help, he nodded and piled in. Totally clueless at first, but he was strong, keen, and picked things up very quickly. I watched him later on open a case, lift the mover out, hang it on the bar and safety it - totally on his own. 0 to useful in an hour. He stayed 5 years. Theatres are always looking for people to go on their casual lists. Health and Safety and rules means lots of these can't do what I did, but once you are in, you need to stay in. People forgive inexperience, but never lazyness.

Courses can give you pieces of paper that say you are safe to do X or Y. They very rarely actually train you, but just give you enough of the basics to be able to train yourself.