Performer hanging upside down from lighting rig

V.A.

I read this in the metro thismorning, meant to bring a copy home to type up; but basically the lead singer of a band did his "signature trick" which was some kind of upside down acrobatic manouvre off the lighting truss, and fell to his death infront of an audience.

Obviously it's very tragic, but I have to say I can't believe that anybody let him do this in the first place... fair enough if it was the first time he'd done it and nobody knew, but the way it was described led me to believe it happenned regularly.... !!!!!! :angry:

What do others think?

Guest lightnix

Rock singer dead after stage dive - BBC Online

"The lead singer of an up-and-coming rock band died after an acrobatic leap from the stage went wrong.

"Patrick Sherry was performing with his band Bad Beat Revue at the Warehouse in Leeds when he fell, sustaining fatal head and back injuries."

Singer fatally injured in onstage accident - NME

"The LEEDS music scene is in shock after a singer died following an onstage accident.

"Patrick Sherry, frontman with the up-coming band Bad Beat Revue, was injured after he fell from the stage during the band’s set at city’s The Warehouse last week (July 20).

"Sherry was attempting a spectacular set-closing jump but fell short and landed on the floor, injuring his head.

"The Club NME night was immediately halted and the venue closed while the singer was taken to hospital. He later died of his injuries at 3am."

Rock singer is killed in stage diving stunt - Mirror.co.uk

"A rock band's lead singer has died after a stage dive went wrong.

"Patrick Sherry, 29, frontman of Bad Beat Revue and a married father-of-two, jumped up to grab a lighting rig during a gig but fell head-first on to the venue's solid wood floor.

"Older brother Brendan, 33, who is also in the band, saw the accident.

"A witness said: "He put the microphone down and crouched before leaping off the stage, which was about a metre high, and trying to grab the rig. I don't know whether he caught it or not, but his momentum carried him forward. He went upside down and hit the floor head-first. The whole thing lasted about five seconds. It was horrendous."

The inquest is to be held next week and it's probably inappropriate to comment until at least then.

I've been to a gig before where the lead singer swung from the truss but the right way up. I'd been told in advance that this happend a lot with the band in question (Stamping ground I think, or the haunted, I forget) and was glad I was there as a punter, not having to worry about such things. Sypathies(sp?) for those who knew him.

I've been to a gig before where the lead singer swung from the truss but the right way up. I'd been told in advance that this happend a lot with the band in question (Stamping ground I think, or the haunted, I forget) and was glad I was there as a punter, not having to worry about such things. Sypathies(sp?) for those who knew him.

These people are fools. Even circus performers have some form of safety system, and they train day in and day out for that sort of thing. I feel sorry for the family of the guy, but it really is a stunt that belongs in the Darwin Awards

For those uninitiated:

The Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives: by eliminating themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chance of long-term survival. In other words, they are cautionary tales about people who kill themselves in really stupid ways, and in doing so, significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race.

These individuals carry out disastrous plans that any average pre-teen knows are the result of a really bad idea. The single-minded purpose and self-sacrifice of the winners, and the spectacular means by which they snuff themselves, make them candidates for the honor of winning a Darwin Award. The terrorist who mails a letter bomb with insufficient postage deserves to win a Darwin Award when he blows himself up opening the returned package. As does the fisherman who throws a lit stick of dynamite for his faithful golden retriever to fetch and return to him. As do the surfers who celebrate a hurricane by throwing a beachfront party and getting washed out to sea.

Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards represent examples of evolution in action by showing what happens to people who are unable to cope with the basic dangers of the modern world. These ironic tales of fatal misadventure illustrate some of life's most important lessons.

Most of us know instinctively that the words "trust me" and "light this fuse" are a recipe for disaster. We assume that basic common sense eliminates the need for public service announcements such as, "Warning: Coffee is hot!" and "Superman cape does not enable wearer to fly." But the true stories you will read show that common sense is really not so common. No amount of overzealous caution would have helped the man who used household current to electrocute fish in a pond, then waded in to collect his catch without removing the wire. As you'll see, there are even people who need to be told not to peek inside a gas can using a cigarette lighter.

The Darwin Awards are macabre tales that make us laugh while instructing us in the laws of common sense. Consider the man who crawled under the roller coaster guardrail to retrieve his hat. When the next coaster came by, an unfortunate rider broke her leg on his skull. Ouch! From our point of view, the man who lost his head is a Darwin Award winner, and his story is just another episode in the saga of survival of the fittest.

The Darwin Awards can be considered a rusty chromosome award for those who douse the gene pool with chlorine.

Guest lightnix
The inquest is to be held next week and it's probably inappropriate to comment until at least then.

The inquest opened today at Leeds Crown Court, but was adjourned, to a date yet to be fixed, for police and health and safety inquiries to be completed.

Let's just leave it for now, shall we? Please??

Read this:

Contempt of Court:

Actions which would commonly draw charges of contempt include:

Publication of material which prejudges the case, especially where it makes the express or tacit assumption that the accused in a criminal trial is guilty(93).

The Blue Room does not allow any illegal activities. The Blue Room is not responsible for anything you say in the forums, or for any consequences that arise from what you say. If you break the law, you alone will be responsible for the consequences.

You and you alone are responsible and liable for all your activities in The Blue Room. Remember, you are responsible for anything you say or post and for protecting your own computer system.

This concept is called Sub Judice.

Like the man said, ....a temporary set of these for ya:

http://homepage.mac.com/bryson430/.Public/dancinglock.gif http://homepage.mac.com/bryson430/.Public/dancinglock.gif http://homepage.mac.com/bryson430/.Public/dancinglock.gif

We'll re-open the topic after the inquest.

Archived