Clarinette and cello solutions

valooz

I've been working with a band for quite some time now, which include clarinet and cello as instruments.

For the clarinet, I've been using 2 Beta98's, which work terrific, except, just to be difficult, the clarinettist can't put it on her stand when she's not playing (about one song out of 3) because one of the mikes is in the way.

So obvious solution, I stuck a 57 on a stand for the bottom, and kept a 98 for the keys, but this is annoying because she moves around alot...

So any ideas? I really have to keep the full range of the clarinet...

2nd...

I'm having trouble getting good results on the cello, having tried pretty much everything, and placed pretty much everywhere; and since the cellist always wants a pretty hi quality and level from her wedge, I need something not too sensitive to feedback, and of course, we're looking at "budget" problems too, just to make things easier.

SM 57 doesn't cut it, neither does Beta 81's

neither do pickups, or combinations of all that...

Best solution is a AKG C4000 positioned REAL close, but this isn't too good because first of all it bothers the cellist's movements, and I would like to avoid carrying my cherished C4000 around on too many gigs...

Thanks for any examples, or experience you have on this...

We have a BIG gig in about a month where we have to "look" like we've got everything figured out... :blink: :santa:

thanks for any help...

Not sure about those particular instruments, but I've had some good results on unusual instruments with kit from Microvox. Small clip-on mics, usually held in place with velcro pads or straps. Great for live use - very small and unobtrusive. I own a couple, and several friends have them too.

They do a violin and viola one - maybe there's a cello one too? And they do various options for brass instruments. They focus mainly on the folk/acoustic market.

My only grumble is that the output is unbalanced.....

Give them a call - Alan is a nice guy. And they do a "money back if unsuitable" offer...

Bruce.

I often put violins through a PA, and have found a fantastic pickup that sits between the bridge and soundboard. I have seen a lot of the professional solo violinists using them, but I can't remeber the name or manufacturer right now.

It is a pickup not a mic, but it is not a piezo pick up, so the sound is quite warm, and doesn't have too much scratchiness about it.

Will try to find out more.

Bot these instruments will really benefit from condensers - dynamics just don't have that clarity. What I have been doing with some big band stuff is trying the large diaphragm cheap brands now available - results have been excellent, and at the price, damaging one isn't as bad as a cherished big brand name. On a cello (I've not tried this one) I'd expect results as encouraging as what I get on a double bass (3/4 size), but the clarinet should be rather good. Brass is a bit more difficult as they tend to blast a bit without some kind of windshield, but that isn't a problem for your application.

If you want one with some kind of name, I bought a couple of Samsons that work well, and were quite cheap.

I've had super results with a AKG 414 or even C3000 on cello's Depends on how much other stuff is near by ( trumpets etc)

As for fiddles..... condenser over the shoulder of the player is fab or pick ups ( most fiddle players are obviously very precious about their £10,000+ instrument so prefer nothing being stucl or fixed to it.)

I've had super results with a AKG 414 or even C3000 on cello's Depends on how much other stuff is near by ( trumpets etc)

As for fiddles..... condenser over the shoulder of the player is fab or pick ups ( most fiddle players are obviously very precious about their £10,000+ instrument so prefer nothing being stucl or fixed to it.)

Seconded on all counts... :)

Seconded on all counts... :)

We consulted witha few of our performers about the tape isssue and ended up using either quality pvc tape (ie no sticky residue) or a small bit of micropore medical tape which again elaves no sticky residue, but only comes in white! and taping lav mics as pickups with the performers wearing the radio beltpack.

We consulted witha  few of our performers about the tape isssue and ended up using either quality pvc tape (ie no sticky residue) or a small bit of micropore medical tape which again elaves no sticky residue, but only comes in white! and taping lav mics as pickups with the performers wearing the radio beltpack.

If you have performers that use heaps of different instruments, depending on the instrument (violins and cellos work), tape the belt pack to the back of the instrument, just below where the handle/shaft bit is attached, that way the tape has something to hold on to.

From expensive experience I never, ever tape anything to an instrument that has varnish or laquer. even if they say it's ok, they soon change their minds when some of their instrument comes away with the sticky. With something like a cello, they don't normally move away from the spike block, so a stand mic should be fine. If they are reading music, then this also limits where they can go. It is only mobile soloists who normally need radios. I've had a lot of success with headworn omnis for violin/viola and flutes - probably ok for many woodwind, but not brass.

Velcro cable ties can be useful for holding small mics in place on expensive instruments - the microvox (see above) flute mic uses this method. Doesn't damage the instrument or leave any residue, and the velcro acts as isolation, reducing the pickup of mechanical noise.

Archived