Quoting for haulage

PhilT

I'm currently quoting for the production management of a medium sized dance tour. Part of this quote includes transport costs between venues. The company generally like to pay me to hire a van, and then for me to invoice them for fuel as we go along. This worked quite nicely as I can then buy a van, in effect hire this back to them and then sell it at the end of the tour.

The slight annoyance in the whole affair is the matter of fuel. It gets really silly sending in receipts, working out how much fuel I used for personal use etc etc, particularly if I've sub-contracted it out. So basically I'm considering just charging a flat fee for 'haulage'. I'm just wondering what is a fair price to charge, per mile for transporting a MWB Sprinter-full of stuff around the country? I'm sure there's a standard figure, I just don't know what it is!

There are a wide variety of figures online, I just wanted something a bit more industry-specific.

Thanks!

Phil

I'm currently quoting for the production management of a medium sized dance tour. Part of this quote includes transport costs between venues. The company generally like to pay me to hire a van, and then for me to invoice them for fuel as we go along. This worked quite nicely as I can then buy a van, in effect hire this back to them and then sell it at the end of the tour.

The slight annoyance in the whole affair is the matter of fuel. It gets really silly sending in receipts, working out how much fuel I used for personal use etc etc, particularly if I've sub-contracted it out. So basically I'm considering just charging a flat fee for 'haulage'. I'm just wondering what is a fair price to charge, per mile for transporting a MWB Sprinter-full of stuff around the country? I'm sure there's a standard figure, I just don't know what it is!

There are a wide variety of figures online, I just wanted something a bit more industry-specific.

Thanks!

Phil

Why not ring a local sameday courier firm and ask them what their mileage rate is. The last courierwe used charged us about 60p per mile.

A lot depends on who you hire through. A lot of comanies charge a hire charge, with a certain ammount of mileage thrown in (ie 100km), and then a fee on top of that per km. Then you have to return the thing full.

You should be able to find out the number of littres of fuel per 100km for the van, fully loaded,

find out how much they charge per km over the limit

then work out the number of litres you will use, using a 15% margin for error (unless you are a great driver, in which case you wont need it)

then add 10 or so % to the price of fuel (as it will fluctuate in price)

I would then add a small (2%) margin on top of that.

Hi Phil

I would look at insurance as well get a quote before you make up your mind. If you are transporting equipment for money your premimums could be quite high looking at your profile you are still quite young. You may also require insurance for the equipment being transported this can also be a large expense.

Doug

Hi Phil

I would look at insurance as well get a quote before you make up your mind. If you are transporting equipment for money your premimums could be quite high looking at your profile you are still quite young. You may also require insurance for the equipment being transported this can also be a large expense.

Doug

Yeah, insurance is another exciting thing to be dealing with. The glamour. You'd be amazed how expensive a 21 year old, working in theatre, is to insure....

If it's your own van your hiring you need to also factor in the cost of wear and tear on the van (i.e. depreciation), running costs (tyres, exhaust, MOT, servicing etc.), as well as the fuel and insurance. There is no exact science to it, you need to sit down and work out exactly how much it costs you to run your van per mile, than add on a margin for yourself on top, if you want to. Charging by the mile is really the only sensible way to do it.

Tell me about it Phil. It could be worse. I remember when I was under 21 I had to do a night a week to pay for van insurance alone and that wasnt on a new van by any means!

Some insurance companies will include thedt of radio/cd player in a car for a small charge. I wonder if they'd beleive me if I said I liked it loud and the stuff in the back was merely an extension of my radio. save me about 35% on my premium for my equipment inurance that is for sure. which has gone through the roof,

Rob

Archived